One of those days

Today’s brew day was one of those days. Seemed like when I got started everything that could go wrong went wrong. Well not everything. Went to mill my grains and figured the wrong direction for the reaction of my drill. Mill and grains went flying when I started pouring them in. Picked it all up and started milling. The battery on my drill died half way through. Changed the battery and the mill made a heckuva noise when I started it back up. Thought maybe a rock. Stopped and dumped the hopper out. No rock. Checked the bucket and the grain wasn’t crushing right. Started up again without grain all quiet. Started pouring grain and noisy! Finally figured out I was running backwards. Finally got the grain milled and overshot the strike water temperature. Got the temp right, mashed in, tons of dough balls. Got the kettles out and aparrently someone was in a hurry last time and didn’t clean them very well. After cleaning the kettles I got my pump out, flushed it with water and plugged it in. Frozen! Ended up talking it apart to free the impeller. Throw in my brew spoon falling on the floor about 15 times and that’s about it. Other than that it was a great day! Seriously, when I pulled the plug tonight with 15 gallons in the fermenters, it was all worth it! RDWHAHB!

3 Likes

My mill makes a horrible noise if you run it backwards also. Guess how I know! I also have had to disassemble my pump in the middle of brewing. Makes you wonder why you go through all of it. Then you pour yourself a pint and it all becomes clear.

1 Like

And in the end, you will still get beer. Sorry about your day but you got through it.

1 Like

Last brew day mine got stuck. Had to take it apart mid brew and clean it. I guess the carmelized some grain in the ends of the roller

A year or so ago, I had the bearings go on my mill without my noticing. I should have noticed; I saw metal dust outside the mill, and didn’t think twice. Started the mash, and put the lid on my cooler. Came back to vourlaf, and noticed all these perfect whole kernels floating in the mash tun. It still made beer, but miserable efficiency.

Stuff happens…my hops bag came unhooked and fell into the kettle after my last addition today. Seven ounces of hops released into the kettle…whirlpooled for a while pump and chiller got clogged pretty quickly…had to backwash…luckily had boiled water in the hlt…finally got it cleaned out and got going again…seemed difficult to get chilled below 60 for some reason…

Happens to all of us…

Eugene, be careful with that axe! PF! :sunglasses: Sneezles61

2 Likes

Seriously funny right there! haven’t heard that reference in a long time.

1 Like

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!” - RW

1 Like

Need to get the toones machine up and playing… Haven’t heard that album for sooo long… Amongst a few others too! :sunglasses: Sneezles61

1 Like

I’ve got a bunch of old vinyl I need to spin up myself.

1 Like