Decided to brew another batch of my centennial IPA this morning. Got the strike water going and milled my grain, when I tried to brush off the rollers with the rollers spinning the brush got caught and yanked the grain mill off the top of the bucket sending flour flying around the room. OK that could’ve been worse…no grain lost.
Got doughed in without mishap and realized I desperately needed propane. Put my second cup of coffee in the car and loaded the propane tanks in the back only to return to a coffee cup that had emptied into the center console…luckily it’s water tight.
Returned with the propane…mash temp holding, pH 5.5…check
Pulled the bag and sparged…cranked up the burner to bring to boil…plugging data into BS2…glanced over at the rig and there’s a nice boil over going!!!
Got the boil over under control with maybe a quart lost…boil went fine…no issues…
Started to chill…hmmm…101…wth…AHH…so it does matter which way the wort travels through the plate chiller…Another pint or so lost switching the hoses on the plate chiller…
Got it chilled to 75…could be worse…actually managed to end up with 5 gallons in the fermenter and OG only a couple points higher than planned…put it in the swamp cooler with a couple 1L frozen bottles to get it to pitching temp…spent a while cleaning up the nasty kettle.
Boiled a couple gallons to run through the pump and plate chiller to clean them and as I opened the valve the output hose slipped off the brew rig splashing boiling water on my bare feet…eh…only 1st degree burns no biggy…
All cleaned up gear put away…12:15!!! 4+ hours…well at least it’s after noon and I can start drinking!!!
I guess if you do something long enough you’ll have a bad day at it occasionally.
Here’s to the next brew day! It’s gotta be better than his one was! :cheers: