I’m in the middle of one. Brewing a 2 gallon BIAB batch of a SNPA clone.
Got the water up to 158 and added the grain. Temp dropped to the desired 153. Perfect. I watched it come down to about 150 in the next 15 minutes or so. So, I figured, “I’ll just goose the heat a little for a while to get it back up.” Put it on low-low/med and went to play with the baby.
Came back about 20 minutes later and the temp had jumped to ~164. Ah, crap. turned the heat off, pulled the lid off and started stirring. Got it back down to ~157 by the end of the mash. Pulled the bag out and got most of the liquid out.
Started the heat back up to get it up to boil and started weighing out the first .1 oz of magnum. “Huh, that looks like a heck of a lot more hops than .1 oz.” So, I dump the whole pack in and it says it’s only .5 oz. (supposed to be 1 oz.) Crap. Got gyped on .5 oz of hops. Oh well.
Wort comes to a boil and I add my magnum. Then, I start to weigh out my .3 oz addition of perle. The scale has turned itself off by now so I turn it back on. “Huh, that looks like a whole lot less than the .1 oz of magnum” Scale must have been mis-calibrated. FML.
I’ve got enough ingredients to try again next week and compare. We shall see.