One of the hardest decisions

Baratone, truly sorry for your loss. Yesterday my brother and his wife had to put down their 14-year-old golden retriever and they definitely are heart-broken. I’m glad that you fought the tears with a tribute brew. I personally understand a reaction of a joyful act of gratitude and love, rather than letting depression take hold. And I can’t help but think it would be what Marco would appreciate the best from Doggie Heaven!

thats sad baratone. I have always had dogs but when its that rare dog that bonds strong with ya its really tough to have to make the humane choice. I’m tipping one for your best freind.

My condolences, man. There’s a forward floating around about a little kid trying to figure out why dogs die so much earlier than people. Very likely fiction, but even knowing that it got to the core of how we feel about our wonderful pets.

The story goes that the family took their child (6-7ish) to the vet with them to put down their Irish Wolfhound. When they’re saying their goodbyes the veterinarian is struck by how calm the boy is while he pets his dog for the last time.

After the process the family discusses the fact that pets die so much earlier than their owners. The boy chimes in, “I think I know why they die so much sooner. Everybody is born so that they can learn how to live a good life – like loving everybody and being nice, right?” The four-year-old continued, “Well, animals already know how to do that, so they don’t have to stay as long.”

I miss both of my childhood dogs (put down within a year of each other these past couple of years) everyday, and I’ll never forget how purely they loved us as a family.

Cheers to you and your pooch and the memories. Nothing can make it easier, but I imagine nothing could be comparable to the time you shared together.

Thanks again everyone.