Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

One more Question

When i was transferring my wort from my kettle to the carboy, I really had a hard time with gunk at the bottom. I feel like I got a lot of it in the carboy. What are my potential outcomes from this?

You will get a variety of answers on this. Some say dump it all in, others will do everything they can to keep the trub out of the fermenter. As far as I know there are no proven benefits or downfalls of either extreme or anything in between.

I personnaly dump it all in.

Good because I tried not to, but I basically dumped it all in. LOL. Thanks for answering my questions, this was my first batch and I have so many questions.

For me the main benefit of keeping the hop and break material out of the fermenter is that it makes reusing yeast easier. I used to dump it all in too back in the day and the beer came out fine. When I was brewing extract kits I didn’t want to waste a drop of the good stuff! Keeping it out these days is very easy, I have valves on my boilers so I don’t have to dump and I scale my recipes up to 5.5 to 6 gallons and leave a half gallon or so in the boiler.

I use a strainer in the funnel to catch the trub. I harvest yeast and this makes for an easier, cleaner harvest. Before the strainer, I dumped it all in with no ill effects to the beer.

Guys, thanks for the input. Just looked at my carboy and it is bubbling away!

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com