Old timers corner

Cars and trucks!. My first real ride was one of the pair of work horses we had on the farm. One was gentle and liked to be ridden. The other would try to grab your ankle to pull you off or rub you off against a tree. The horses were perfectly matched. Only difference was in the eyes. Should have put some paint on that one to avoid the occasional mistake.

3 Likes

I really appreciate horses… Under the hood, with the chainsaw, snow blower, lawn mower… and yes, the weed whacker… I do have the “old fashioned ones”, but I just can’t get down on my hands and knees and get back up efficiently any more… Doesn’t that mean I’m getting old? :sunglasses: Sneezles61

1 Like

I remember cutting the weeds in the drain culvert AKA “the ditch” in front of my folks house with one of those swing like a golf club arm powered weed wackers. Dad would have to clamp it in the vise once in a while and use a file to fix the dents from rocks. I may still have a blister from it. :grimacing:

2 Likes

I don’t ever recall any “dark” brews either… Perhaps the darkest I can remember was Pabst… Maybe all these scanda-hoovians up here didn’t care for Guinness, so it wasn’t offered? No wonder why they drank the distilled stuff… Sneezles61

My father used to drive a beer and soda truck doing home delivery i often got to ride along. Use to deliver mostly cases of quarts bottles. The smaller bottles we’re more expensive so not as popular. Rheingold was popular

HEY, we can smooze about (almost) anything here… at least have a brew whilst hanging around… :grin:
Sneezles61

1 Like

When I was a kid car radios were AM only. FM had not been invented. They didn’t have turn signals either. Remember Fords with positive ground? Weird.

I would like to know when the polarity and voltage changed… I had a '62 bug with 6 volt… I do not recall the polarity… So… Is the earth truly negative… and using positive for the the primary help to eliminate damage from static? Or just finally figured it works better… hhhmmmm
Sneezles61

You had a radio? That was an option if you wanted to upgrade

Remember the starter on the floor with a manual choke? I think the key was for opening the doors

1 Like

Dimmer switch on the floor… And if the car was really rusty… it push through the floor boards…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Ground is ground the world 'round. You could almost tell the old 6V cars coming at you at night since the lights were so dim.

1 Like

Alright my friend had an MG with a hand crank starter. That was fun if the car was warm

Little convertible?
Sneezles61

As a youngster, we’d sit along the hi way and able to recognize what car was what, by the grill… Spend hours watching those big steel beasts zoom past us…
I wonder if I could do that today…?
Sneezles61

When I was in high school one of the kids had a VW beetle. One day a bunch of us picked it up and turned it facing out in his parking place. He came out, scratched his head, got in and left. The next day we did it again. This time he caught on. Not sure if it was because he figured it out or heard us trying not to laugh. We were going to put it sideways the third day but figured we tortured him enough.

2 Likes

Crane operator drove a “colt” front wheel drive little gizmo… He was in the middle of a building in a tower crane… Damn did he get a surprise when his car came up from the edge of the building… We were 10 floors up…
Sneezles61

We had a guy working a loader on a job who thought it funny setting the crapper on the roof of cars. One day we hoisted the thing onto the roof of the loader. He had to come hat in hand to get us to help him get it down.

4 Likes

In high school we had an english teacher/football coach who tormented us constantly. We all loved him and some are still in contact with him. He was a great guy and just loved to eff with us. So senior prank day a bunch of us picked up his MG midget and put it on the stage in the auditorium prior to a big awards ceremony. You should’ve seen that faculty when they walked in and saw that car on the stage.

3 Likes

I had a hand me down 1972 Gold metal flake Plymouth satellite that I loved. Like a lot of cars from Detroit at that time it rusted out badly in one spot, Which happened to be the front Driver’s side quarter panel. Eventually I would get wet when I went through a puddle which was kind of OK, until I hit a possum, juicy possum apparently.

Edit: I also did have a Dodge Coronet ‘75, also a hand me down …later. It was basically the same car! My dad loved Chrysler motors.

3 Likes