Old Stoner ?'s

I am planning on brewing my first barley wine in a couple weeks. Going to brew Old Stoner as it gets great reviews. Couple questions. I found this link to the recipe - but it is an old link. Has the recipe “changed” over the years? Is there an updated recipe - or is it tried and true?

http://www.tastybrew.com/brews/view/50

Also, I have seen some mention of 1056 and 1272 in regard to the yeast to use for this. 1056 is in the original - thoughts? Stick with 1056 or is 1272 better?

anything else I should think of?

[quote=“Braufessor”]I am planning on brewing my first barley wine in a couple weeks. Going to brew Old Stoner as it gets great reviews. Couple questions. I found this link to the recipe - but it is an old link. Has the recipe “changed” over the years? Is there an updated recipe - or is it tried and true?

http://www.tastybrew.com/brews/view/50

Also, I have seen some mention of 1056 and 1272 in regard to the yeast to use for this. 1056 is in the original - thoughts? Stick with 1056 or is 1272 better?

anything else I should think of?[/quote]

Yeah, that’ll work. We change it up a bit every time we brew it, but that’s the version that took blue at the OR state fair. We do 2 5 gal. batches at a time. One is fermented with 1272, the other with 1056 and we blend them together at bottling. Last few years we’ve been using 1450 in place of the 1272, but we still ferment with 2 different yeasts and blend.

I brewed it in Jan 2010 and I used the same recipe. I made 11 gallons and got a much higher OG that what was shown. I got 1.135 and finished at 1.021 for just over 15% abv. The BW was great and I still have (!5) 12 oz bottles and (34) 16 oz bottles. I kegged it and then bottled from the keg for long term storage. I want to keep these bottles for at least 5 years. By the way, I pitched this on an active yeast cake from US-05 dry ale yeast.

Yes?

15% that’s impressive! did you aerate more than once? <sorry for being off topic

15% that’s impressive! did you aerate more than once? <sorry for being off topic[/quote]Nope. I just hit it for a couple minutes with the Mix-Stir and a drill.

For the past month or so I’ve been thinking about getting a light starter beer going so I can pitch the Old Stoner on the yeast cake. I’ve really been on a high ABV kick lately both in commercial drinking and homebrewing.