Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Old Stoner/bottling?

I brewed this several months ago, and it has been sitting in secondary since. I will probably be looking to bottle in the upcoming weeks. Do I need to add new yeast, and if so, what kind? Just wondering if there are any special steps I should follow in finishing off a beer that has been sitting in secondary for a long time.
Thanks

Adding a little dry yeast isn’t a bad idea. I usually add yeast to anything sitting more 3 months or longer.

Any dry yeast should be fine. I use US-05 for bottling aged beers, others use 04 a lot too.

I always add some yeast for bottling it. Usually US-05, but any dry yeast will be fine.

I’m actually coming up on my three month mark for the Old Stoner myself only though I was thinking about waiting until July, maybe August, before bottling. Figure something like this would be better closer to the fall and that a nice high summer temp might help the new yeast carb my beer which came out somewhere around 12.5%ABV. It tasted dangerously good coming out of the primary. Can’t wait for this one.

For example, how much of a pack of 05 would be added to the bucket assuming a 5gal. batch?
And would yeast be an addition or substitution to priming sugar?
Thanks, Mike

[quote=“Steppedonapoptop”]For example, how much of a pack of 05 would be added to the bucket assuming a 5gal. batch?
And would yeast be an addition or substitution to priming sugar?[/quote]Half a pack (~5g) is plenty. And you use the normal amount of sugar regardless of any yeast addition.

[quote=“Shadetree”][quote=“Steppedonapoptop”]For example, how much of a pack of 05 would be added to the bucket assuming a 5gal. batch?
And would yeast be an addition or substitution to priming sugar?[/quote]Half a pack (~5g) is plenty. And you use the normal amount of sugar regardless of any yeast addition.[/quote]

Yeah, I’d say anywhere from 1/4-1/2 pack would be fine.

Thanks for the info. that is kind of what I was thinking, but wanted to make sure. Any rehydration of the yeast? Or just add part of a pack to the bottling bucket?

I feel the same way mplsbrewer - I was stunned at how good it tasted after primary ferment of 3+ weeks. I am eagerly waiting to taste it again when I bottle, and eventually how good it will be this fall/winter. I want to get another one in the works, but I want to at least wait til I bottle this one to see how it is doing.

[quote=“Braufessor”]Any rehydration of the yeast? Or just add part of a pack to the bottling bucket?[/quote]I like to rehydrate since you’re pitching it into a high alcohol and low pH environment and I want to make sure it’s healthy, but it’s probably not necessary (or just pitch a little more to compensate for the death toll).

[quote=“Denny”][quote=“Shadetree”][quote=“Steppedonapoptop”]For example, how much of a pack of 05 would be added to the bucket assuming a 5gal. batch?
And would yeast be an addition or substitution to priming sugar?[/quote]Half a pack (~5g) is plenty. And you use the normal amount of sugar regardless of any yeast addition.[/quote]

Yeah, I’d say anywhere from 1/4-1/2 pack would be fine.[/quote]

What’s the best way to save the remainder?

[quote=“Rookie L A”]What’s the best way to save the remainder?[/quote]I cut the corner off the package (to keep the opening small), weigh out the yeast, then immediately roll the top edge down a couple times and tape to seal, then put it back in the fridge.

Thanks fellas. I’ll be making this batch in the next few weeks to be enjoyed in the fall/Christmas timeframe. Looking forward to it. I’ve been working on the label, never mind the dates or abv. Time slipped and I haven’t gotten to the batch yet…

[quote=“Braufessor”]Thanks for the info. that is kind of what I was thinking, but wanted to make sure. Any rehydration of the yeast? Or just add part of a pack to the bottling bucket?

I feel the same way mplsbrewer - I was stunned at how good it tasted after primary ferment of 3+ weeks. I am eagerly waiting to taste it again when I bottle, and eventually how good it will be this fall/winter. I want to get another one in the works, but I want to at least wait til I bottle this one to see how it is doing.[/quote]

I don’t rehydrate. Just pour it in the bottling bucket.

[quote=“Rookie L A”]

What’s the best way to save the remainder?[/quote]

My answer is don’t. Do you want to potentially risk an infected batch to save less than a couple dollars worth of opened yeast? Dump it in the kettle as a nutrient.

[quote=“Belpaire”][quote=“Rookie L A”]

What’s the best way to save the remainder?[/quote]

My answer is don’t. Do you want to potentially risk an infected batch to save less than a couple dollars worth of opened yeast? Dump it in the kettle as a nutrient.[/quote]

THIS^^^^^! I’ve had 2 friends end up with an infected batch. They both used leftover dry yeast. I can’t say for certain that was the cause, but I can’t rule it out.

I’m bottling an imperial stout this weekend. I just caught on to the need for yeast at bottling time. I see above the use of US-05, and I have dug up the recipe for old Rasputin which uses champane yeast. OK my “issue” (I think I am Ok but …). I don’t have any of the above mentioned yeast around. I do have a number of jars of rinsed american ale yeast (yweast 1056) and am guessing this will work fine. but… how much? I normally run starters but for this should I just decant off the liquid from a jar right outta the fridge and pitch half into the bottling bucket to match the amount in the above discussion. Or do I run my starter and then pitch only half of that. I am guessing I don’t run a starter for adding yeast at bottling time but this is my first bottling of such a high gravity beer.

Thanks
Barry

I would do a small starter just to wake the yeast up and get them ready for the high-ABV, low sugar environment.

Thanks Shadetree,

I will run a starter when I get home and delay the IS bottling till Sunday. It is tad short but I think I should have a pretty good count running if I let it run till late saturday and crash it for bottling on Sunday. I figure I can run it a little short as I need only a “small” starter. As always throw rocks any weak spots. Looking dumb hurts my feelings far less than screwing up a batch (epescially an Imperial Stout :wink:

Barry

[quote=“Vulkin’”] It is tad short but I think I should have a pretty good count running if I let it run till late saturday and crash it for bottling on Sunday.[/quote]Or you could just use one or two tablespoons of slurry in a 0.5 - 1 L starter and add the entire thing to the bottling bucket once it starts to show signs of fermenting - small enough volume to not impact the beer.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com