OK what did I brew?

I swore I’d never post a question like this, but here I am…

I made a batch of Jamil’s Oatmeal Stout. Here’s the recipe:

72.9 % Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain
7.8 % Flaked Oats America
5.8 % Chocolate Malt America
5.8 % Victory Malt America
3.9 % Crystal 80L
3.9 % Black Roasted Barley

My addled brain read “Black Roasted Barley” as “Black Patent Malt” so I ended up making something stout-like without using roasted barley.

I’m tempetd to just brew the whole thing again as I’m a stickler for exactness in my brewing, but before I do, I guess I want to know if anyone has any thoughts on what effect the substituition of Black Patent for Roasted Barley might have?

I don’t think it will make much differnce in the final product.

Brew it.

[quote=“Northern Brewer”]Roasted Barley
500-600° L. Gives black color with ruby highlights and distinct, astringent roasted bitter flavor. Mandatory for dry Irish stouts. Use very small percentages to add color to Scottish ales and red ales. [/quote]

[quote=“Northern Brewer”]]Black Patent
500-600° L. Made by roasting white malt at a higher temperature than that used to produce Chocolate Malts. Sharp flavor and black color, with a smoother flavor than roasted barley. Small percentages add reddish color to Scottish ales, red ales, and bitter. Higher percentages give pronounced roasted flavor and aroma and black color. Ideal for sweet stout and robust porter.[/quote]

Sierra Nevada Stout uses black patent in lieu of roasted barley, so using that as a guide, you probably just made a stout.

That said, the recipe looks like an Oatmeal Porter :slight_smile:

what matters is whether it tastes good or not - doesn’t even sound as though you’ve tasted it yet - wait and see.

Roasted barley to me is more roast aromatic - like dark roasted coffee flavor and aroma. Black patent is less aromatic and more acrid/harsh. But those are just my takes on them.

Black patent malt won’t necessarily come out acrid/sharp. I made a clone of the SN Stout using BP and it is quite smooth, although the roastiness is somewhat balanced by a high hop bitterness.