Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

OG for 1 gallon kits?

I’ve noticed that NB doesn’t list an OG for their 1 gallon kits. Is it safe to assume that it’s the same, or very close, to the 5 gallon counterparts? I’ve done a couple of them and find that I almost hate to take a gravity reading because you already have so little beer to spare…two gravity readings (OG and FG) “waste” a good beer’s worth of liquid.

I feel for you, but gravity reading are essential to knowing when it is time to move to bottling. A refractometer can be used to reduce the amount of wort required to get your OG (and only OG!) reading to only a few drops. You may be able to pick up a refractometer in the salt-water aquarium section of a local pet store for less than the NB sales price. The problem is that you will need to convert Brix to a gravity reading, which a program like BrewSmith or Brewer’s Friend can assist with.

You may want to inform NB’s customer service of the oversight in the brew day instructions; I am sure that they will get back to you and they will change the sheets in the future if you let them know. In the meantime a program like BrewSmith or Brewer’s Friend will help you estimate your OG and FG.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com