OG: 1.043 I got 1.033

Help!!! First batch, is it ruined? What should I do now? Thanks for any suggestions!!!

Tell us more? :roll:

^ That. Extract/AG? Recipe? Target volume vs. actual volume, etc…

That. Extract/AG? Recipe? Target volume vs. actual volume, etc…

American Wheat Ale…Target Volume 5 Gal Actual 5 Gal. 6lbs LME…Willemette/Cascade…
followed instructions that came with kit. I added 2 gallon cold water, then wort, then top off.
I hope this helps.

Stratification is sometimes an issue in “non full boil”. When the wort is added to the cold water and then topped off, sometimes the mix is not uniform and you might have sampled from an area that did not blend well, hence the low OG.

Just a thought.

Thanks, Randy! I guess the only thing now is to watch the fermentation process. Retest again after. Fingers crossed.

[quote=“rashley”]Stratification is sometimes an issue in “non full boil”. When the wort is added to the cold water and then topped off, sometimes the mix is not uniform and you might have sampled from an area that did not blend well, hence the low OG.

Just a thought.[/quote]

A good thought. Almost a certainty!

Would it be a bad thing not to top the wort off? Get a gravity reading then adjust as needed?

Nope, not really. When you;re making an extract partial boil recipe, it’s easier and more accurate to either accept what the kit tells you or calculate it yourself based on the ingredients. As long as your volume is what the kit was designed for, you’ll get the correct OG.

Nope, not really. When you;re making an extract partial boil recipe, it’s easier and more accurate to either accept what the kit tells you or calculate it yourself based on the ingredients. As long as your volume is what the kit was designed for, you’ll get the correct OG.[/quote]

I agree Denny. If it is an extract kit and you use all of the ingredients an follow the recipe you are almost guaranteed to hit the OG. I think when the yeast goes to work and begins its mixing action, it properly mixes everything and the beer will turn out just fine.

Gentlemen, thanks for all your input it is greatly appreciated!!! I will keep you posted as to how is goes! Excited to start Homebrewing!!!

Good luck and enjoy the hobby. I hate to say it, but I enjoy the brewing even more than the drinking.

+1 to all the above; if you used all the extract and ended up with the target volume, you hit the correct gravity regardless of what your sample says. I like to think this is the reason (rather than cheapness) that most starter kits don’t come with hydrometers anymore.

Happy brewing!!

[quote=“rashley”]
Good luck and enjoy the hobby. I hate to say it, but I enjoy the brewing even more than the drinking.[/quote]
Seriously. Enjoy the hobby.

… and think about it; as I always say: How many hobbies are there, where at the end of a fun session, you have more beer than when you started?

[quote=“JMcK”][quote=“rashley”]
Good luck and enjoy the hobby. I hate to say it, but I enjoy the brewing even more than the drinking.[/quote]

… and think about it; as I always say: How many hobbies are there, where at the end of a fun session, you have more beer than when you started?[/quote]

“like!” haha :cheers:

That’s some gold, right there.

And +1 on wort stratification. You need to shake that carboy like it owes you some money before you test SG.

[quote=“JMcK”][quote=“rashley”]

… and think about it; as I always say: How many hobbies are there, where at the end of a fun session, you have more beer than when you started?[/quote]

Thanks! :cheers:

Just wanted to update everyone. Cracked the first bottle today and I have to say not bad. It didn’t explode. LOL. Tasted alright too. Light, Not bitter. Perfect for a after work/ mow the lawn beer.

Just want to thank all you guys for replying to my post. Wish I could send Beer through Post to you guys. Till next time CHEERS!!! :cheers:

Congrats :cheers:

I’m not sure what you’re suggesting here, but just to be clear, if you have a partial boil (e.g., 3 gallons) and you plan to top-off with an additional 2 gallons of cold water, when you take a gravity reading of your 3 gallons (i.e., prior to topping-off), that reading will be significantly greater than your target OG.

Next time:
(1) Put your chilled wort in your carboy/bucket
(2) Top-off to desired level
(3) shake well to aerate
(4) Take gravity reading
(5) Add yeast

Hopefully by shaking to aerate, you will get a better mixture of wort & top-off water, such that your gravity reading is (more) accurate.

Cheers!
:cheers: