Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Official "hate it" thread

hate the beer? post it here.
mine? American Hefeweizen.

I’m also opening to things that bug you. mine? referring to bulk age as secondary. and Black India PALE Ale. if it’s black, it’s not pale.

Lambic, sours, barleywines.

People who “don’t like dark beer” but have only tried American Guiness one time.

Hmm. I am not a fan of Belgians and I have tried many. Hefeweizen is not for me… too banana-y. I generally don’t care for a beer that tries to impress you with ABV or IBUs. I have noticed a trend over the past 5 years or more where breweries and beerpubs just try to make something that’s more “off-the-map” than the other guys. I like drinkable beers. I’m not really into stouts, porters, IPAs or IIPAs. I don’t want to have 2 beers and then say I’m done! because the beers were 12%.

I hate it when people say they love beer and then promptly order a coors light every time and they can’t stomach anything else. I hate it when people say that Guiness is too heavy “it’s like drinking syrup”.

Hefeweizen is by far the most hated beer ive had. Also people who think blue moon or shock top are good craft beers.

So you don’t like Belgians, Hefes, Stouts, Porters, IPAs? WOW! There are many, many different types of beers that fall under each of those styles. Sounds like you’re missing out on some good beers. What do you drink? Pils, English Ales, Lagers… and nothing else?

Beer styles/characteristics: Hefeweizen. Sours. Very sweet (e.g., Samichlaus). Outrageously bitter (e.g., Devil Dancer). Most bourbon barrel ales. Strong creamed corn flavor (e.g., Boulevard Reverb).

Retail stores that stock their build your own six-pack selection with beer that’s past its prime.

Off-topic, but while I’m on a roll: people who drive under the speed limit when conditions are not hazardous. :evil:

So you don’t like Belgians, Hefes, Stouts, Porters, IPAs? WOW! There are many, many different types of beers that fall under each of those styles. Sounds like you’re missing out on some good beers. What do you drink? Pils, English Ales, Lagers… and nothing else?[/quote]
Pale Ales, ESBs, Amber Ales, Oktoberfests, Pilsners, Alts, Scottish Ales, West Coast Lager/Steam/California Common, American Wheats, Blonde Ales, Red Ales & Lagers, Bocks, Dunkels, Viennas, Kolsch, Helles, specialty beers like Raspberry Wheat or Spiced Pumpkin Ales… plenty of variety there. I do not brew the beers you mention. That doesn’t mean that I couldn’t drink one when I was out one night but to have 5 gallons of any of those particular styles… no.

[quote=“Ken Lenard”][quote=“dobe12”]
So you don’t like Belgians, Hefes, Stouts, Porters, IPAs? WOW! There are many, many different types of beers that fall under each of those styles. Sounds like you’re missing out on some good beers. What do you drink? Pils, English Ales, Lagers… and nothing else?[/quote]
Pale Ales, ESBs, Amber Ales, Oktoberfests, Pilsners, Alts, Scottish Ales, West Coast Lager/Steam/California Common, American Wheats, Blonde Ales, Red Ales & Lagers, Bocks, Dunkels, Viennas, Kolsch, Helles, specialty beers like Raspberry Wheat or Spiced Pumpkin Ales… plenty of variety there.[/quote]
well stated Ken!

Lambic - yuk.

Most German style beers with the exception of Hefeweizens. Any Mexican or Japanese. Anything that ends in “light” or “lite”.

coriander

I hate it when people ask for advice on a brew or a process, decide to do it their own way, and then get mad when things don’t go right.
As far as beers go… I do not like anything that finishes sweet.

Blondes and pilsners are my only really rejected styles. I can try anything else with hope that i may in fact like it.

• a billion
    i hate it when i order a beer and the waitress brings me a frosted glass, most times it gets sent back and i ask for a room temp one. they look at me funny.

Grains of paradise, and the trend of putting it in wit beers. I’m totally fine with spices and any number of unusual brewing techniques, but I just have an aversion to that stuff and I don’t get its popularity.

As far as general beer styles goes, I’ve never met a (well made) beer I didn’t like. Obviously what I’m in the mood for changes, but even a pbr is good in the right circumstances (say right after mowing the lawn).

Belgians and anything that’s flavored with anything but malt and hops. :cheers:

beer “purists”. AG brewers that talk down to extract users. using extracts does not constitute “cookie cutter” brewing.

edit: and my over use of “quotation” marks.

I pretty much like every beer style out there as long as it’s well made. I don’t drink a ton of spiced beers but they have their place. Love the Belgians and sours though, I think that’s just an acquired taste thing. It took many samplings and tastings of sours before I really started liking them. Once I crossed that line they quickly became one of my favorite styles of beer.

As stated earlier in the thread, I hate when people say they don’t like dark beer and that Guinness is way too strong and thick. It has less calories and alcohol than Budweiser people! And dark is not a flavor.

Berliner Weisse or American light lagers taste like they were brewed in the devils buttcrack. I for one like barley wines , hefe’s and most any other type of brew.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com