Off the Topper Brew Question

Ok I’m using the FastFerment system and this is my first IPA. My question is the recipe calls for 2 dry hops. One at the end of primary and one in secondary. My question is do you use a bag for the hops or dump it right into the fermenter. And when I go to secondary I just remove the bulb and dump the sediment. Will the hops settle out into the bulb or do you strain into your keg? If you use a bag do you remove it after primary and then again after secondary? Or leave it in both primary and secondary. Just confused.

I personally have only ever dry hopped using muslin bags tied loosely. I did both dry hops for this recipe in bags in my keg. I have read about some possible benefits to adding a batch of dry hops at the end of primary fermentation but I have personally not tried it yet. Hops tend to float on the surface but I’ve also read that a cold crash can help drop them out. All that being said, I’ve not gotten around to trying a FastFerment system but I would say that if you are worried about hop matter in the beer during the transfer to secondary, just toss them in a muslin bag. Then rack to your keg and add the second round of dry hops directly to the keg. I leave mine for the duration of the keg which is typically 1-2 months max.

:beers:
Rad

1 Like

I just hopped up my Maibock by adding cascade into a tea ball and tossed it in the keg. Simple a effective. I’ve done it in the past by putting into the fermenter, no bag no nothing… You get more trub to deal with like that, but either way, both are equal IMO… Sneezles61

1 Like

Thanks. I was just wondering. There is a dry hop at the end of primary then another in secondary. Do you leave the hops in from the primary and add the secondary or is primary hops removed the. Secondary added? Instructions for this kit are a little difficult to understand.

Geo

This year I bagged both sets of dry hops in the keg and left both bags for the entire duration of the keg with no ill effects.

:beers:
Rad

It is yer call. I heard some stuff on beersmith podcast that sez it will change, and on brulosophy not. You should try both, do take some detailed notes to see what you git out of it. Me self, I will remove from primary, and secondary, which I haven’t done fer a long time. I have enjoyed them in the serving keg best. Sneezles61