OFF SMELL 1 week in bottle

so i had a nut brown ale in primary for 1 week and 4 days i bottled after checking 3 days in a role and the SG was all the same OG was 1.050 and the FG was 1.010 when i bottled it smelt great, tasted fantastic and I snanatized all me bottling things and after one week in bottling i have a subtle sourish smeel and taste. I cant see it being an infection but I have got ready to accept that and dump all the beer.

I’d let it go another couple of weeks, maybe its just coming from the yeast growing during the bottle conditioning. At this point you’ve got nothing to lose.

Yeah i was think that but this is my first batch so i have no idea what to expect. i wanted to know if i need to worry

I’d be surprised if you had an infection in your first batch. Stuff happens now and again though, something could just float in on the air. It happens but not very often.

Sometimes fermentation produces a little stinky stuff that gets cleaned up with some time in the bottle. I’m guessing that this is what you’re smelling.

well its not just smell its a taste too, but ill update next sunday when its been two week into the bottle and on the 3 weeks if it has not gotten any better. if anyone else has had this happen i would love to know the out come of the brew they had do this.

One thing I did notice is that your attenuation is pretty high for a nut brown with British ale yeast. Normally the beer will finish closer to 1.015.

Also, what temp did you ferment this brew at? A warm ferm temp can lead to a sourish alcoholic taste. I would have thought you’d have tasted this when you bottled but maybe the carbonation is making it more noticeable.

[quote=“tom sawyer”]One thing I did notice is that your attenuation is pretty high for a nut brown with British ale yeast. Normally the beer will finish closer to 1.015.

Also, what temp did you ferment this brew at? A warm ferm temp can lead to a sourish alcoholic taste. I would have thought you’d have tasted this when you bottled but maybe the carbonation is making it more noticeable.[/quote]

I fermented it at 64F but its at around 70-74F in the bottles

[quote=“cashscraft”][quote=“tom sawyer”]One thing I did notice is that your attenuation is pretty high for a nut brown with British ale yeast. Normally the beer will finish closer to 1.015.

Also, what temp did you ferment this brew at? A warm ferm temp can lead to a sourish alcoholic taste. I would have thought you’d have tasted this when you bottled but maybe the carbonation is making it more noticeable.[/quote]

I fermented it at 64F but its at around 70-74F in the bottles[/quote]
is this to high of a temp for bottling?

No you want it higher for bottling, you don’t get the same amount of heat generated with the little bit of priming sugar. Sounds like you are either going to be OK or theres an infection. Good luck and don’t quit if this does go south. You might review your sanitation protocol to be sure you didn’t miss something.

well i feel uneasy about this brew. i hope im just being a worried parent.

Wait for it. The browns, and english yeasts, take time to clean up and develop the flavors.

The best thing you could probably do for this beer is to let it carbonate at room temperature for two weeks, then put it in a cooler location like the basement for a couple more and forget about them. Tasting at 2 weeks for carbonation, then 4 weeks after bottling to see how the flavor settles out.

so yesterday it was driving me crazy so i opend another bottle to se witch direction the beer was going and all things are looking up the smell was not so storong and after being in the glass for a few mins it was bearly noticable and there was no bad taste left so all is looking good :slight_smile:

To all who find this post… let your beer do its thing, everything turned out just fine

Glad to hear that, its no fun having an infection wipe out a lot of work. Fermentation produces a lot of stinky stuff but yeast graciously clean up after themselves. Unlike my kids…