Off Flavours with Honey Brown

Just had my first failure I think … a Honey Brown. When I racked to secondary, I noticed a faint clorox smell coming out of the carboy. I had been soaking the glass carboy in a clorox solution, and then sanitizing with star san. Usually no problems, this time faint odor of clorox. Left to age and bottled. Tested one of the bottles after 6 weeks, acid taste, bit like harsh meade. Anyone experienced honey additions taking longer to ferment?? I will give it another couple of weeks and then pour down the drain!!. NO MORE CLOROX PBR from now on

If you are on city water, did you run the water through a carbon filter or use a campden tablet to remove the chlorine from the water? If not, that may have added to the smell and off flavors. If you are getting an acid flavor there is a chance that you had a bacterial contamination. I have never experienced that with honey when I have brewed with it.

I brewed this beer all grain from grain to glass in 13 days and have noticed no off flavors matter of fact its my dads favorite right now. If you are using star San I don’t see the point in the bleach

+1 above.

I used bleach for years with no issues, but PBW/Oxy Clean and Star San are much easier.

Don’t know your process, but it sounds like chlorine. Possibly you didn’t rinse well.

One of the reasons I stopped using bleach.

:?: [quote=“mrv”]+1 above.

I used bleach for years with no issues, but PBW/Oxy Clean and Star San are much easier.

Don’t know your process, but it sounds like chlorine. Possibly you didn’t rinse well.

One of the reasons I stopped using bleach.[/quote]

+1 I had two batches back to back get this awful flavor. Since then I’ve completely cut out the chlorine and haven’t seen it since.