Off Flavors

Cascade Mountains West Coast Imperial IPA - Extract Kit, Danstar American West Coast Ale Yeast - dry, pitched at 72 degrees. Bottled 2 weeks ago.

Just tasted this last night, while it’s drinkable there is definitely something off with the flavor of the beer. It smells good, looks good but I cant explain the taste, it’s not crisp like an IPA maybe a little sour. Will it get any better with age?

Was there any temperature control involved in the fermentation?

In most cases the beer will clean itself up to some degree. So I would not be too worried at this point. Give it a few more weeks and see how it is doing.

stayed at 63 degrees during fermentation

That seems OK. Pretty big drop from your pitch temperature though.

Unless there is any evidence of an infection, I would stay confident it will improve in time. Not much else you can do at this point anyway, other than wait it out.

the room or the beer?

I find in a lot of cases, the massive hop doses in IIPA’s can lead to a tangy, almost tart perception because they are so bitter. I have also found in a lot of cases that IIPA’s need more time to mellow out than an IPA/APA. I would say give it some time if it was bottled 2 weeks ago.

I brewed this as a all grain, it took a while for it to come into its own. Be patient it will surprise you!

[quote=“wendy”]Cascade Mountains West Coast Imperial IPA - Extract Kit, Danstar American West Coast Ale Yeast - dry, pitched at 72 degrees. Bottled 2 weeks ago.

Just tasted this last night, while it’s drinkable there is definitely something off with the flavor of the beer. It smells good, looks good but I cant explain the taste, it’s not crisp like an IPA maybe a little sour. Will it get any better with age?[/quote]
It’s hard to get an extract kit to finish crisply, especially an Imperial.

Sour? Does it smell a little like sulfur or taste a bit like sour apple? Those can come from a cool fermentation where the yeast doesn’t clean up well after itself.