Off flavor after kegging : Carbonic bite?

??? :no_mouth: Sneezles61

If you’re hitting your kegs with star san after cleaning with tap water i don’t think there’s enough residual chloramine to cause a problem.

1 Like

If I were you I would:

1. download Bru’n water and read how to use it
  2. buy DISTILLED water. Nothing added
  3. in Bru’n water input all minerals at zero
  4. use a basic recipe
  5. use a COLOR PROFILE in Bru’n Water. Don’t get fancy until you understand water
  6. brew and let us know how it turns out
4 Likes

This is excellent advice.

Alright. I have Bru’n water downloaded already. Entered in all zeros for distilled water. Entered grain bill. 11 lbs 2 row, 1 lb munich, .5 lb c40. Selected Yellow dry for water profile. Then added salts to match profile.

4g Gypsum, 2g Calcium Chloride, 3g Epsom. Puts my estimated mash pH at 5.45

Am I missing anything? I know I should invest in a pH meter but should I just try this and see the outcome. Certainly wouldn’t be thrilled if I bought a meter and all the storage and calibration buffers and see the same results.

3 Likes

Glad to see your up off the mat

2 Likes

Brew it with no meter. I’ve found Bru’n water to be within +/- .01pH. As I said, I ditched my meter because of this and the maintenance.

This will determine if it’s water related or if we need to look elsewhere.

2 Likes

If MHall still has a problem, then, the water equation would be eliminated after this X-beer-ment. Do, out of curiosity, check out Cohumulome percentages out on your hops…
We are in this together brother! We’re pulling for you! Sneezles61

2 Likes

Only thing we quit is cable now get out there.

6 Likes

That’s what we like to see! Up and swinging!

Look around yourself @mhall2013 do we look like a bunch of geniuses on here? If we can do it you can.

3 Likes

Holy crap, that’s a lot of sulfate!

Sneezles, cohumulone harshness has been pretty thoroughly debunked

1 Like

Are you thinking that was the baseline measurement or adjusted?

Who you calling a genius

2 Likes

OK… Sneezles61

I thought the same thing with the amount of gypsum and epsom he added. But I didn’t run it on Bru’n Water. That’s why I suggested that he stick to a color profile. My beers turn out better over a “beer” profile.

1 Like

What am I missing here? I thought 200 ppm sulfate wasn’t out of the ordinary.

I know you are but what am I?

It’s really not for an IPA. I’m drinking an IPA right now that was adjusted to over 200 and it’s pretty darn tasty. I will say I only do it for higher IBU IPAs. If you’re going for a NEIPA youd want to lean more heavily on chlorides from what I understand…not my bag.

So I was bored and put your original numbers/recipe into Bru’n Water.

First, you don’t need that much epsom salt to get Mg. There is plenty in grain that will promote yeast health. And, I think this is part of the harshness as this adds to bitterness.

Second, your sulfate to chloride ratio is actually 2.7:1, which is quite high if you ask me. Especially a very hop forward beer with a hop know to increase harshness.

Third, this doesn’t account for the “added minerals” to your Gerber pure so the minerals would be higher, possibly substantially higher.

Try my advice above. I think you’ll run into better beer. Remember, your water salts are like cooking. Use salt and pepper for the main flavor (gypsum and Calcium chloride) and use the other spices (baking soda, epsom salt, pure salt) to “season” the water.

3 Likes

Alright sounds good. I’ll be sure to post back once I brew a batch using distilled and Bru’n water.

1 Like