Objective opinions requested

A friend who has grown to appreciate my brewing(I gave him a growler every weekend during ski season) dropped of a NB Belgian Dubbel kit. What is the correct amount of finished product to return? I was thinking at least half the batch or a full case which ever is larger. Is this cheap? Should I give him all of it and hope he tells me to take a case? The other alternative is listen to the devil on my left shoulder and tell him that due to a catistrophic failure I had to dump it all. If I knew how to use smileys the winking one would be inserted her. Give me your opinion. Thanks

Half a case is probably about right. He was probably intending to pay you back for all of the beer you gave him and will likely refuse the whole case, at which point you get it all minus a few bottles.

If he, for some reason wants all of it, tell him to go to www.howtobrew.com. Your time is worth something.

Up to half the batch back to the buyer is fair, and he has to return all the bottles, clean.

I’m thinking half is certainly fair! You’ve given him lots of beer…I suspect the NB kit was a way of thanking you!

12 pack to a case. Definitely not the whole batch - that would be way out of line to give someone the ingredients expecting them to brew it all up, bottle it and deliver it back.

How much did the kit cost, and how many six packs would you get if went and bought it in the store? I would guess that 3 or 4 six packs would be about right, and so you give him that and keep the rest. After all the time and effort it takes, especially all the beer you gave him over the year, that is more than fair.

i must agree with most of the others, halph the batch at most and if hes a good friend he wont even take that mutch.

Sounds like he’s just paying you back for the beer you’ve already given him.

I’d give a sixer of this batch and a few beers from a few other batches.

When you chum up a school of fish you don’t throw the whole block of chum in, you feed them a bit at a time!

Dude, he’s workin’ you! Next, he’ll probably bring his car over and put a shop’vac next to it and suggest you clean it out for him. Honestly, I think it’s just a payback. Have a good time with good friends and good beer. It’s all good, so Hop ON!!

Objective opinion?!? What does that even mean?

I think half is fine.

I agree. Half is appropriate. That’s what I do.

Paul

Invite him over some Friday evening after the beer is ready - serve it with some nice snacks and he’ll be happy

“Act without Expectation” ~LAO TZU

So far you’ve given of yourself (and your beer) with no strings. He felt compelled to simply thank you. I would not change your course as to what you have been doing in the past for your dear friend.

Why not just ask him? If he says he wants it all then it’s time to teach him to brew his own. I have some friends who like the home brew but don’t have equipment, I have a standing offer to let them use my stuff and I’ll help out.

[quote=“flytyer”]If I knew how to use smileys[/quote]Just click on the smilely you want and it will appear wherever the cursor’s at. :cheers:

Dear kgeis,
I don’t know. As soon as I posted it I intended “Opinions requested” Heck, my time in high school was the best 6 years of my life. I’ve always had a problem putting my thoughts into proper English. God Bless my wife, She takes my ramblings and has made some really nice beer labels using her book learnin more gooder English.

I would personally offer it all back to him and let him make the call. But I’m never low on beer of my own.

You could always ask him how he wants it packaged and see what his intentions are in advance.

[quote=“Steppedonapoptop”]“Act without Expectation” ~LAO TZU

So far you’ve given of yourself (and your beer) with no strings. He felt compelled to simply thank you. I would not change your course as to what you have been doing in the past for your dear friend.[/quote]
i haive to agree with steppedon, sounds like the appropriate thing to do. send him off with a sixer, if your good friends he could always hit you up for another one later.