Obama needs new brewers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dygQrX8FI3Q

I agree, I don’t think there was enough water added to the secondary fermenter. Otherwise, I feel that the distillation process went quite well…

In all honesty I think it’s pretty awesome these guys get to learn to brew and get paid to do it.

nah i just think presidential brewers should be doing all grain brews not extract kits. But either way it is pretty awesome Obama that supports homebrewing and its being done in the white house

I imagine that chefs at the White House level can make extract beer that’s as good or better than 90% of the AG made by homebrewers.

I think that video may be the reason why i vote for Obama! I love it, i’m glad to see it.

I think you’re absolutely right.

he needs a lot more than just new brewers.

did someone let some fruit flies into this thread? I can see it going sour, and not in a good Brettanomyces/Pediococcus kind of way.

[quote=“beermebeavis”]he needs a lot more than just new brewers.[/quote]He just needs to make sure that he uses fresh extract from Northern Brewer even though he’ll have to pay shipping. :wink:

Other that a few little mistakes like topping up to the neck :roll: , no gravity readings and no mention of priming sugar that was a pretty good vid. Not a bad intro for beginners. If the pay is good and the White House would like to take brewing to the next level I am available.

BTW gang. Keep it about brewing and all is well. If this gets into a political debate it might get locked. TIA

I agree completely. I also think that this is great for the homebrewing community as a whole. It is said that the President takes his homebrew with him on the campaign trail and has been known to give some of it away. Politics aside, I think that’s pretty cool in my book!

Interesting…Maybe i have all grain on a pedestal because i do not have a means to do it?

Interesting…Maybe i have all grain on a pedestal because i do not have a means to do it?[/quote]

Why do you say you don’t have the means? You just did a recipe with only 17.39% extract. Do you not have room for another 1.5# of grain? You could do a brew in a bag all grain batch this evening.

What size pot do you have?

I don’t hate on extract. But I think all grain beer is much better. I find much more depth of grain flavors. And having complete control is just great.

I think it’s awesome. The brewer did mention adding bottling sugar.

And did you see how smoothly and quickly he stirred the wort while adding the honey? That’s some professional cheffery right there.

:cheers: to the Chief!

I think you’re absolutely right.[/quote]

I don’t. Back in february I was at a homebrew beerfest that had some fantastic beer. I didn’t care for a couple of them but the majority (of 15) were very good.

[quote=“Rookie L A”]I don’t. Back in february I was at a homebrew beerfest that had some fantastic beer. I didn’t care for a couple of them but the majority (of 15) were very good.[/quote]How do you know which were AG and which extract? The point is that someone who knows what they’re doing can brew good beer with extract and that beer is going to be better than a run-of-the-mill AG.

I have to disagree with the last post, on the grounds that all-grain is usually more “fresh” than extract, as far as ingredients go.

All-grain brewers generally have more experience than extracters, as well, which is quite valuable in producing quality brew. Yes, there are exceptions to this - I said “generally.”

I think the settlement to this argument is more in terms of who is the brewer. A lot of people switch to all-grain in order to have control of their beers, but their treatment of the process may not be up to par; however, an extract brewer may be well aware of how the extract is cut (e.g. 40% wheat/60% pale malt) and be compensating for that to create a clean beer. The all-grain brewer, although in control of the ingredients may not be handling it properly just because he has more to attend to and will be delivering a beer that is part of a process that is bringing him to actual control…

So, as much as all-grain is a preferable way to brew when it comes to being in control and producing the beer you as a brewer want, there’s no way you could ever say that the all-grainer is always going to be producing a higher quality beverage. Granted, eventually, he will be able to do so it IS completely fair to say that an extract brewer could come up with a better beer in many cases. This includes the people who are meticulous and well practiced enough in the culinary arts to carefully bring about a high quality product.

Just sayin.

What I disagree with is the perception that AG is expensive. Maybe the equipment was once but no more is this true.

-Cooler - less than 40.00 - i dont really remember but it is just a standard large rectangular cooler probably closer to 20.00.
-Hose Braid and the needed stuff to get it mounted in the cooler - with teflon pigtail - maybe 20.00 and that is being generous.
-Large pot - This can take a little looking. I spent 40.00 on a 15 gal Al pot (remember i went and the point is how cheap can one do this - Stainless is expensive!). Al works just fine but you do have to cure it (boil water in it for I think it was 30 min) and you can’t green pad it (or any other abrasive) or you have to recure it. I have no spout or anything so I am still manhandling stuff but it works and make very good beer.

Check out Denny’s page he has the directions on how to go this path (batch instead of fly).

BTW it is also a simpler system than Fly and no one seems to be able to prove any real level of superiority for either (a vote for the simpler, cheaper system right there!).

Barry

Edit - I should have also put in here that the ingedients for any batch are cheaper AG compaired to extract but you really see the cost savings by bulk buying through a local club.

[quote=“Vulkin’”]
Edit - I should have also put in here that the ingedients for any batch are cheaper AG compaired to extract but you really see the cost savings by bulk buying through a local club.[/quote]

It really is quite cheaper. If you purchase in bulk. For example. I am not counting yeast in either figure.

Extract version of dead ringer: $40.45

Now the allgrain bulk version.

Bulk 2 r0w = $34.99 = 34.99/50 = 0.70/lb
Bulk Centennial = $16/lb = $1/oz

11lbs 2row * 0.70 = 7.70
C40 = $1.75
Hops = 4.75 *$1 = $4.75

Total = $14.20

Savings = $40.45 - 14.20 = $26.25