Oatmeal Stout/black malt question

Really want to a oatmeal stout. I have everything but roasted barley. I do however have black malt.

Yes I know these are different. Looks to be by about 200 lovibond.

The recipe I was looking at was northern brewers oatmeal stout. Which calls for 0.5lbs of roasted barley. Could I drop the weight in half. And use about 0.25lbs of balck malt. To get my color I need. Or will it still throw the flavor off.

Also. Does anyone have a oatmeal stout recipe that they may recommend over using nb’s?

Roasted (black) barley and black patent malt are both 500L. There is another roasted barley at 300L but you hardly ever see it. I think you could sub black patent for 500L roasted barley. It won’t be the same beer but I’ve had stouts made with black barley instead of roasted barley. Another option would be to do 50% chocolate and 50% black malt.

I used the recipe out of the Clone book, for Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout. I liked it. I can look it up for you if you cant locate it.

I would say to use 6 oz of black patent. It’ll be more of an oatmeal porter instead, which is still a tasty beer.

Thanks. I am totally down with that. Never made a porter. or a stout. So either I am cool with.

did yours look like this?

All Grain Recipe - Samuel Smith’s Oatmeal Stout ::: 1.055/1.014 (5.5 Gal)
Grain Bill (70% Efficiency assumed)

8 lbs. - 2 Row Pale Malt (UK if you have it, but whatever)
1 lb. - Flaked Oats
1/2 lb. - Crystal Malt (60L)
1/2 lb. - Chocolate Malt
1/4 lb. - Roasted Barley
Hop Schedule (31 IBU)

1.75 oz. - East Kent Goldings - 90 min.
Yeast

White Labs Irish Ale Yeast (WLP004) - 1800 ml starter
Mash/Sparge/Boil

Mash at 151° for 60 min.
Sparge as usual
Boil for 90 minutes (remember to compensate your water)
Cool and ferment at 65° to 68°

It already calls for chocolate malt.

OG 1.042 READY: 6 WEEKS
Suggested fermentation schedule:
– 1-2 weeks primary; 1-2 weeks secondary;
2 weeks bottle conditioning
MASH INGREDIENTS
– 6.5 lbs English Maris Otter
– 1 lb Flaked Oats
– 0.5 lb English Roasted Barley
– 0.5 lb English Chocolate Malt
– 0.5 lb English Dark Crystal

I think I leaning towards the samuel smith one. the 1.055 starting gravity versus the 1.042 really makes me what to go in that direction.

Do the Sammy Smith recipe and sub black patent for the roasted barley. A 1/4 lb should be perfect in that recipe.

Nice. Thanks.

I think it is close, but here’s the recipe I got from the books:

AG method:
7.5lbs British 2row pale
1/2lb flaked oats (you have to bake them @325 for 75 minutes, flipping every 15 minutes)
1/2lb 55L Britsh Crystal
1/2lb british Chocolate malt
3oz Roasted Barley
1.75oz East Kent Goldings 90 minutes
Wyeast 1084

OG should be 1.048 - 1.051
ABV 4.8%
FG should hit 1.010 or so

wasn’t planning on toasting the oats. is this something that should be done?

It adds a nice toasty character to the beer, give it a try. Besides, it adds a unique quality to your beer.

Make sure you do buy ‘flaked oats’ so you don’t have to do a cereal mash. I made that mistake about 3 weeks ago. Oh well, brew and learn!

It adds a nice toasty character to the beer, give it a try. Besides, it adds a unique quality to your beer.[/quote]

sounds fun. I think I will do it.

appreciate it.