Oak Aged Belgian IPA... Eisbock?!?!

No real question here. Just wanted to post about a possible awesome beer mistake I made. A few weeks ago I brewed a Belgian IPA. After fermentation, I decided to split the 5 gallons into two 3 gallon carboys to dry hop and add oak to 1/2. I’ve really become a fan of oak aged beers including IPAs. Dogfish head’s Burton Baton is fantastic! Anywho… I decided to add French oak chips to one of the carboys. After a few days I popped both carboys in my fermentation fridge to try and clear up the beer as best possible before kegging/bottling. I week goes by and I pull both carboys from the fridge which was set at 40F. The carboy sitting towards the front is fine. The other carboy was sitting on the hump in the back… the colder part of the fridge and I guess you can figure out where this is going. I’d say about 25-40% of the carboy was ice. I big’ol block bobbing in the middle. After some thought I decided “F-it… I’m going to blend both beers back together in a keg”.

So I now have a Oak Aged Belgian IPA Eisbock! I have no idea what the ABV is. It WAS about 7% before partially freezing 25% of 1/2 of the batch. Anyway, I’m going to let the keg sit until a spot opens in my kegerator. I’ll probably fill a few bottles to age for a bit. I’m willing to bet this will be an awesome beer that I’ll NEVER be able to duplicate.

Sounds good to me, but I’m pretty sure it’s an Oak Aged Belgian EisIPA since it isn’t a bock. I have a doppelbock I brewed almost 2 years ago that I have been wanting to do this with. Had it at 28F in the freezer for a couple weeks with no ice formation and haven’t tried again at a lower temp yet.

Should be putting this on tap in the next few days. I’ll try to remember to check back after a few weeks of cold storage and carbonation.