O2 free brewing

Just finished reading the BYO article on low oxygen brewing. Just some thoughts on my process. I don’t buy into the whole idea because of a couple reasons. 1st is that most breweries and home Brewers don’t abide by such a strict process yet make incredible beer. Preboiling strike water ,no. Crush grain day of brewing ,yes. No sparge mashing, I could. Slowly mash in, I could. Cover mash, I could. As far as the boil . Partial cover pot, no. Simmer instead of vigorous boil, yes. Rapid chill, within reason. Pitch active yeast, I try. Closed transfer, no. Purge keg, yes. Keg before fermentation is complete, often. As you can see some stuff I already do and can change a few things. Anything adding to the brew day I would need to see a real payback. One of the things that is no addressed is barrel aging. O2 is an important part of that. And barrels we’re used for storage up until relatively a short while ago. So maybe people were drinking crappy beer forever or maybe no O2 brewing is just another annal endeavor

4 Likes

I read that article too. Like you I have a hard time buying into it my self. I did some more reading on the German forum and the low oxigen brewing forum. This September will be 20 year anniversary of home brewing for me and the one thing I’ve learned is great beer happens with the brewers technique of brewing . What works for others doesn’t always apply to you.

I guess I’m very happy with my sub par brews then… Yeast DO need O2 to do their part… So before that I don’t worry… After that, I do “what I can” to minimize O2 exposure… Shoot, brews don’t last too long around here… They barely get carbed and just like a magic trick… they’re gone! Sneezles61

1 Like

ITS SO HARD TO SIT AND STARE AT THOSE SUCKERS AND NOT OPEN THEM SNEEZLES!!! Guess this is a good test of will power…or lack there of.

1 Like