O.G. Issues

I brewed a Ipa extract that i had bought from brewmeister a store chain in my area and the initial brewing process was completed normally and to the specs , after the wort was chilled i took a reading and it came out 1.014 which was awfully low can anyone tell me how this could’ve happened and does this mean that the beer will be a very low alcohol level? The steps were followed exactly. Basically im trying to see if its even worth bottling.

What was your wort temp? If it isn’t 68F you have to account for that. It shouldn’t make that big a difference though. It’s pretty hard to hit low on an extract kit since the starches are already converted. Was the kit the correct amounts for your batch size?

Just saw you’re near Auburn. I’m guessing you’ve tried the grave digger?

make sure the water and extract are mixed really good before you take a reading

yes i have had that at the brewery its pretty good to me maybe about 7/10. If you ever come to Loomis in the season that Loomis Basin Brewery is making there Jacked Up “Recession Ale” its over 8% its awesome its hard to get your hands on though that is for sure. I had the right amount of ingredients and Extract to make the beer it was a 5 gallon batch, also im going to all grain soon to leave the extract world behind im just trying to figure out how this could have happened the extract was stirred well and mixed in well when it was brewed. I will say it was at about 90 F so maybe i should have waited?

Well, the temp correction brings you up to 1.017. I’ve never had anything from that brewery before. I’ll have to check them out next time I’m up there.

With extract your only variables are to much/little water. And to much/little extract. Nothing else in the process of making a beer will change the OG of an exact bres

[quote=“afender13”]…im just trying to figure out how this could have happened the extract was stirred well and mixed in well when it was brewed. I will say it was at about 90 F so maybe i should have waited?[/quote]If you did a partial-boil and then topped off with water, then took the gravity reading, you likely didn’t mix the water and wort together enough - this is the only way you could end up with such a low gravity (besides making a 15-gallon batch with the 5-gal recipe).

As an aside, did you only chill the wort to 90F before pitching the yeast?