Nuts in my mash, what should I do?

+1

My mind went the wrong way, too. I even had advice ready, but figured that I should read the original post first. Thank goodness.

+1, definitely.

All joking aside, this is actually pretty stable advice. I usually let friends and family know EXACTLY what I’ve used to make beer. It allows them to decide whether they want to risk the beer, especially those who have “self-diagnosed” celiac, or are certified sufferers. Nuts are certainly in the category of “warn them”.

Granted, I always giggle a little bit when I buy a pack of nuts and the warning labels indicates, after the ingredients of “$NUTS”, “Product may contain nuts.” You KNOW lawyers were involved.

You mean everyone doesn’t dip their nuts in their mash? I thought that was standard practice, especially for pantsless brewing.

+1 - Thanks for the laugh OP

[quote=“juniper”]
Granted, I always giggle a little bit when I buy a pack of nuts and the warning labels indicates, after the ingredients of “$NUTS”, “Product may contain nuts.” You KNOW lawyers were involved.[/quote]

+1 to that. “Y’see, Your Honor, they looked like walnuts and tasted like walnuts, but I didn’t know they were actually WALNUTS.”

[quote=“paultuttle”]

But now it has me thinking about chopping up nuts and putting them in the mash or boil. Got my curiousity up. Anybody ever tried it (on purpose)?[/quote]
This thread got me thinking. I’m doing an all grain ‘Nut Brown ale’ today and decided to add 1/2 lb of ground filberts to the mash. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

I hate to interject a serious thought into such a frivolous converstion, but chestnuts are commonly used in gluten-free brewing. I doubt there will be any issues with walnuts.

And I only put nuts in the mash when I brew-in-a-bag :slight_smile: