Nut brown final gravity

Aren’t English yeasts having a bit of Brett also to them? Too much hops(acid) and it also cancels out it out? Attenuation? Sneezles61

No I don’t think so it’s pure Sach I would hope

hhhhuh… Sneezles61

My intension was not that low for the mash out. I was looking for 168. When I tasted the wort after the hydrometer, It tasted sweet. I am warming up the carboy slowly. I am not making excuses, it was cold in the garage. I did not think the mash outs were to go over 170?

Commercial breweries were it can take an hr or more to drain a tun need to do a mash out to stop conversion home brewing especially Biab were you immediately start boiling stops conversion so yo don’t have to so your mash out temperature is no a problem. But what was your mash temperature?

1 Like

The rest was to be 154, I was at148. The recipe called for 170 m.o, I took it to 161.

Mashing at 148 should have given you a more fermentable wort and in turn a lower final gravity. If you’re certain that your temps are accurate the I would definitely warm this fermenter up in to the mid 60s…maybe even pitch another pack of yeast when you get it warmer. If you bottle it with all that fermentable sugar in it and warm it up you’ll without a doubt have fireworks.

Edit: after reading back in the thread a bit I’d also point out that this:

“I don’t think I had a hard boil.”

could definitely offset the low mash temperature and fermentability of the wort…

Lots going on here man…it will be beer…it will be interesting…

2 Likes

With the details I’m hearing it should have plenty of fermentable sugars in it sitting for an hour at 148.

I remember I used 04 once and stalled it by putting it in my new keezer way cold. I tried warming it but got impatient and ended up racking it onto a WLP 008 yeast cake to finish. I think if you can be patient, warm it up and give it a little swirl it should wake up.

The beer is at 67. I have been shaking it a little. On the air lock, I noticed the liquid is on the out side.

1 Like

Well that would tell me you have some pressure so it could have started fermenting again. All good no worries

The apparent attenuation for that yeast is 75 percent. This would make your ideal final gravity 1.016-1.018. You are not far off.The ideal temp. according to Fermentis is 59-68 so you are on the low end of that. I certainly wouldn’t worry as you still have over a 6% beer and you are not far enough off to have a sweetness problem. You are on the edge of the gravity where I usually pitch 2 packs which can help with attenuation. I have often had SO4 finish a tad high.Should be yummy!

So I plugged this recipe into BS2 and using my normal 80% efficiency I get an OG of 1,048 which would lead me to believe that your pre-boil gravity reading was correct. Don’t know how you could have possibly gotten your stated OG from that grain bill unless your volume was way low.

1 Like

Off on Friday. checked the gravity. It dropped to 1.014 and tastes strong. I checked the % and it was 7.9%. The gravity dropped .06 in a week.

2 Likes

Thank goodness you didn’t bottle at .020

1 Like

Is that how strong it was supposed to be? Sounds strong for a brown. Could dilute the bottling sugar with extra water to knock it down a bit if you want

This the second time I used this recipe. The first time I did created this recipe. it had a nice brown ale flavor. This time it is strong , almost an imperial. I am going to bottle today or Sunday. If I let the beer sit awhile in the bottle, it should mellow a little.

1 Like

Don’t bottle until you see gravity readings that are the same for maybe three days in a row. It may not be finished.

A question about grain? Being that added 2 lb rahr 2 row to this recipe, did that increase the malt flavor or increase the sugar?

Adding that grain would not likely increase malt flavors significantly. It did add fermentables to the wort, if that is what you mean by “sugar”.

2 Likes

yes