Nut brown final gravity

I did the NB nut brown ale 2 weeks ago. I did a gravity test at each step ;1.040 before boil, 1.065- 1.070 after boil. The final was 1.020.
the grain bill was;
7.5lb English Maris Otter
.25 English Choc Malt
.25 Briess Caramel 120
.25 Belgian Biscuit
.25 Briess Special Roast

Hops

williamette, saaz, fuggle, tettnanger, kent golden US

1 Like

I forgot about the 2 lb of Rahr 2 row.

How’s it taste? Sounds delicious!

Do you think the FG seems a little high? Your OG was a little high per the recipe too so maybe that makes sense. Did you take readings over several days to confirm you’ve reached FG? I always worry about bottle bombs.

1 Like

How do you pull off such a vast spread on your pre and post boil gravities? I never get near that much difference.

I would let it stand bit longer. 1.020. Fg. Kind of high. Mayby wait till. 1.015. I dont bottle. But 1.020. Maybe change for. Kabooooom

Nice grain bill. Taste must be great ones brew ready

I tasted after testing., good. I usually do a second ferm. It has been 2 weeks in the prim. Should I put in a second ferm? I was plaining on doing one ferm this time around. After mashing, I did squeeze the grains for more liquid from the bag. I don’t think I had a hard boil. My water temps were off a little with the resting and mash out. This is the first time for me to do gravity readings throughout the process.

I’d keep 'er right in the primary till it’s done, and by done I mean until you take gravity readings a few days apart that are the same. I’ve noticed some of my brews slow down on the end and take a little time to finish up the last bit of fermentation.You definitely don’t want to rush it.

As for moving it to a secondary, I wouldn’t but that’s my procedure. Others may advise you to move it. I think it’s a chance to cause issues unless you’re doing something with a bunch of fruit.

1 Like

What temp is it at? Can’t hurt to warm it up at this point. That might drive the gravity down some. Looks like only 1lb of non-fermentable grain so you should be able to go a little lower.

Have you checked your hydrometer to see if it is accurate? Should be 1.00 in 60° distilled water. You can get an idea using tap water if you don’t have distilled on hand.

What was your mash temperature and what yeast did you use?

I did check temp of the carboy Saturday, it was 59 (cold in upstate NY). I also checked Sunday and it was the same. I am going to warm up the carboy a little and keep an eye on the thermometer. I did not bottle do to the suggestions. The yeast I used is safale 04. I think I am going to let it go for one more week. Being week day are busy due to work, weekends are for brewing. I am challenging myself with this brew from start to finish. BIAB, resting and mash out temps, hydrometer, and no second secondary. It is opening my eyes to the real picture. I kind of like it. I want to say," thank you", for the guidance.

3 Likes

Didn’t see what yeast you were using. English yeasts I like working a bit warmer. Some of them are slow anyway so if your fermenting at 59 they will be slower yet. I’d let that one go at that temperature 3 weeks minimum

2 Likes

Agree with @brew_cat but if you can warm it up a bit to mid 60s it may help it attenuate a little better as well.

2 Likes

In addition English yeast is notorious for flocculating early. Especially at lower temps.

Yeah warm that thing up to about 70 and give the fermenter a jiggle now and then to get some more out of it if possible. First beer I made with us04 I thought was done and bottled ended being over carbed. The bottles didnt blow but were very foamy. Bad showing for a Porter.

He didn’t mention his mash temperature. He said they were off a little. If they were in the 60s it may be done

1 Like

mash out was 161

I used safale 04. My plan was to raise the temp. I am going to check gravity Friday. I am looking for 1. 000 - 1.015?

Mashout occurs at 176F. Are you saying you mashed at 161F?

@brew_cat beat me to the punch but yea that’s what I was getting at. You mashed warm enough to create a sweet wort that wasn’t palateable to your yeast. So you’ll end up on the sweeter side with full mouthfeel. If it’s not too sweet it may not be a bad thing in this style.

I’d still try to warm it up a bit and see if you can knock off another point or two.

1 Like

You’re looking for it to be stable. Take several readings a couple of days apart. If they’re the same it’s done. :sunglasses:

1 Like