Not so bitter APA?

i haven’t brewed a Pale Ale in quite some time and i’ve decided to play around with my hops. In particular, i’d like to try an assortment of late hop additions so that i can get a smoother hop aroma and flavor. though i like some bitter pale ales, i’d like this one to be a bit more civilized. my goal is to get something between Berkshire Brewing Co. Lost Sailor, Bell’s Two Hearted Ale and Sierra Pale. my only fear is that i may have a little bit too much going on and should probably remove one variety altogether (probably the galaxy). any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated. thanks!

Grist
(%) Lb oz. ppg °L
83% 15 0 American Two-row Pale 37 1
11% 2 0 American Crystal 40L 34 40
6% 1 0 White Wheat Malt 40 2
OG: 1.056
7*SRM

Hops
use time oz variety form aa
boil 30 mins 0.5 Galaxy pellet 13.4
boil 20 mins 3.0 Goldings, East Kent pellet 5.0
boil 20 mins 3.0 Willamette pellet 5.5
boil 10 mins 0.25 Apollo pellet 19.7
boil 10 mins 2.0 Goldings, East Kent pellet 5.0
boil 10 mins 2.0 Willamette pellet 5.5
boil 5 mins 0.25 Apollo pellet 19.7
boil 5 mins 2.0 Goldings, East Kent pellet 5.0
boil 5 mins 2.0 Willamette pellet 5.5
32 IBU

Burton Ale yeast fermented in the primary at 68*F

What’s wrong with an apa being less than enamel peeling? Nothing.

Not only do I concur but I happen to agree. Sometimes is nice to have an easy ale with a light balance of malt and hops.

ok, but how does the hop schedule look? it’s only got 32 IBU predominantly late addition.

I think 32 IBU is good if you want something “less than normal.” I agree with you in that the hopping of everything has gotten ridiculous. I gave someone an APA and they said “it’s not hoppy enough.” No $hit, it’s not an IPA.

I like our APA to be around 45, so I think your 32 IBU with all late hops will be really good b/c you’ll have a ton of flavor/aroma without all the IBUs.

My gripe with the schedule you have there is that it’s so complex, when you want to brew it again, you will have a hard time knowing what to tweak. I’d simplify it for no other reason than it would allow me to more easily hone the recipe in the future.

I also think you will get way more than 32 IBUs out of it.

[quote=“Wahoo”]My gripe with the schedule you have there is that it’s so complex, when you want to brew it again, you will have a hard time knowing what to tweak. I’d simplify it for no other reason than it would allow me to more easily hone the recipe in the future.

I also think you will get way more than 32 IBUs out of it.[/quote]

agreed. i think both the Galaxy and Apollo should be omitted for now. this is also a 10gal batch so i think 32 IBU isn’t terribly inaccurate.

Ah right… 10gallons!

Last year at the organic beer fest in Portland I had Laurelwood’s pale ale that was really good and well balanced. I thought the brewer used some new hop, then found out it was centennial and cascade, just not bombarded with them like most breweries do. By far my favorite beer with cascades.