Not Quite Patersbier

I’m looking to go simple on a lightweight sessionable beer; basically a riff on a patersbier, but I’m not going to compete it or anything, so I’m not explicitly looking to stay on the style guide. I’m also looking for this thing to be the yeast starter for a trippel I’m planning on brewing just as soon as I can get this off the cake. This will be a 3-gallon, but the trippel will be a 5-gallon…

Here’s what I have so far…
Boil Size: 3.62 gal
Post Boil Volume: 3.12 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 3.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 3.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 3.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 25.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 90.9 %
0.25 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 2 21.4 IBUs
0.25 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 3 4.3 IBUs
1.0 pkg Trappist Ale (White Labs #WLP500) [35.49 Yeast 4 -
8.0 oz Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 5 9.1 %

While the IBU level is in the ballpark for a Patersbier, I know Citra is not typical, but I’m not overly concerned with style guide. Since I’m planning on reusing the yeast, I’m trying to keep the hop debris to a minimum, and I like Citra in other beers, so why not.

I do know WLP500 can be fruity at the lower end of the temps, and I’m not sure if Citra would clash with or compliment that. I could also rack this to a secondary and dry hop it.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Sure why not. Not sure about the citra though I think it may mask the Belgian yeast flavor which is what I like in a patsbier. But if your just trying to build a cake it will work fine.

I did something similar…half pound of wheat to that grainbill…and threw in some azzacca at 5 min and fermented with wy3942…tasty little beer.

I’d bag the hops during the boil to keep them out of the fermenter. I use paint strainer bags. One gallon ones would be big enough for this batch. Get them any place that sells paint for a couple bucks.

I sort of agree with @brew_cat on the hops. Citra will likely cover the esters you normally get with a trappist yeast but it’s your beer not ours. I’ve always used WY3787 for my belgians but I think WLP500 is supposed to be the same strain. 3787 is a beast so I’d guess 500 is too. Use a blow off hose. Especially if you ferment it warm.

Follow up:
The not-quite patersbier is on tap, and the Tripel that followed just got racked into the keg.
So generally I never have two beers from the same category around at the same time; I crave variety. That’s mostly why I didn’t want to brew this not-quite patersbier according to style. I succeeded, it is NOT according to style; this tastes nothing like a patersbier, so I don’t know what to call it.

In addition to the non-Belgian-y citra hops, I also kept the fermentation temps down at the lower end for the whole fermentation, which again, goes against what to do with a belgian yeast. As an additional irony; the Tripel is an extract kit that my kids got for me as a gift, while the not-patersbier is an AG recipie I made up. So in essence I made an All grain yeast starter for an Extract beer. I do everything backwards.

Comparing the not-patersbier to the Tripel…

The not-Patersbier is light and fruity. I wouldn’t necessarily call it sweet, but it sure isn’t as dry as you’d think for a 1.052OG that finished at 1.007. The WLP500 page says it develops plum at lower temps, I’m not sure what fruits I’m tasting, but maybe it’s plum mixed with the citrusy flavors from the hops… I really like the beer, so that’s what matters. I might argue that after I racked it off the cake, it could have done with a little dry-hopping, but the wife likes it as-is, so there you go.

The Tripel I handled as expected. I started fermenting low, and let it rise into the 80’s before finishing. It started at 1.083 and finished at 1.017. I wanted it to get lower, but for an extract it’s probably OK. Since it’s in a keg I’m not going to worry about bottle bombs. The tripel has that corriander/clove spice that I expect in an a tripel. The 1017 is not as dry as I want, and there was still a bit of sweetness in the flat sample we tasted. I’m expecting once it’s carbbed, the balance will shift just a bit more toward the bitter, and it will end up as a nice example of the style, if maybe not award winning.

The two beers really highlight how temperature can be as important as any ingredient in the recipe. Side-by-side I would be hard-pressed to guess that the same yeast fermented both beers. One fruity, one spicy.

3 Likes

Now this is the area that most home brewers aren’t aware of… There are a few that do and can… I can’t say for certain, yet, sure seems fermentation temp for yeast is indeed a big changer… Sneezles61

Im gonna brew another one of these tomorrow with galaxy and wy1762 tomorrow…may even bottle it in some belgian bottles and carb it to the moon.

My wife and I were just talking about revisiting this one too. I liked the idea of adding wheat and azacca.

The NQPB sounds like a great summer beer. May have to brew a batch late winter for next spring. I was just telling someone today that I wanted to brew something different.

Didn’t get the bottles in time so it’s kegged and I’ll get the first drink tonight.

1 Like

Went with 7 pounds of pils…and a half pound of cane sugar…half ounce of galaxy at 60 for 40 ibus…0.75 ounce at 5 minutes…and 0.75 ounce at flameout…mashed at 150 for 75 minutes…went from 1.052 to 1.010 with wy1762…fermented at 65 for a few days and then let it get up to 70. Overall…smells great…peachy with a little dank…easy drinker without a lot of body…but grainy on the back end…loving it.

1 Like

Love the galaxy in a light Belgian-style beer. I think I’ll put this on my list.