Not fermenting?

Hi,
I just recently started home brewing again after doing it 15 years ago. I just bought a new kit with the Caribou Slobber kit and I brewed last Sunday and followed the directions exactly. After a couple of days I went down to the basement where I was keeping my brew, and there was very little activity. I let it be, and then the next day I sloshed around the wart a little, and the next day, very little activity. I seemed to remember from my past life that the fermenter filled with foam, and there was lots of movement. It is now a week later. If active fermentation was going to happen, then it would have by now?
:frowning:

What was the wort temp when you pitch the yeast? Dry yeast, liquid yeast?

What temp is the basement at?

Do you have a hydrometer to take a gravity reading?

Dry yeast. The wort temperature was between 70 and 78 degrees F when I pitched the yeast. It sat several hours in an ice bath. The basement is probably about about 60-70 degrees in a dark spot.

I see now though that the directions say that I should have put the fermenter in a warm spot. Could it be that the basement is too cool? Would moving it to a warmer spot help? Or it is too late?

I do not have a hydrometer.

Could the yeast have been denatured by warm temperatures?

Thanks for your response

The temp threshold for yeast is in the 110* range.

Disregard the directions on the temp. The temp of the basement is perfect. Fermentation generates heat. I like my fermentation temp to be around 65*. So I shoot for an air temp of 60*.

Is there a krausen ring above the liquid line? If so, this is a sign that fermentation occurred.

Do you have a shop near by to purchase a hydrometer? If not, where are you located. Someone may be nearby and can loan one to you until you make your next order.

Are you using a bucket?

Just following up to my own questions from several weeks ago. I did order a hydrometer, but it arrived broken, and I am waiting for another. I live out here in the boonies, with no brew shop close by.

Anywhoo, I went ahead and transferred that batch to secondary fermentation, (glass carboyle), then I bottled a couple weeks later. Then after 2 weeks in the bottles I popped one open yesterday, and it tasted pretty damn good! :wink:

It was a kit I probably wouldn’t have chosen (Carribou Slobber), but it was the preferable one that came with the deluxe brewing kit. So all is good despite the fact that I never saw it fermenting much.

In the meantime and in contrast, I started brewing a Dead Ringer IPA, and that baby was obviously fermenting! No mistake about that! Anyway, lessons learned, very active fermentation can happen quickly without you noticing? I guess.

Glad to see it worked well. Sometimes the active part of a primary fermentation can happen within the first 1-3 days and if you had a slight leak (loose lid) it could ferment without you noticing it.