Northwind. Please help

I was at Two brother tap house and asked about the hops they use in Northwind, its their Stout. They came back and handed me a copy of the recipe. Me being an idiot looked at the recipe, then looked at the bartender, looked at the recipe, gave him a hug, said thank you and then ran away. Yes I did pay my bill. I need help. I am new to brewing and this is the recipe.
77% 2 row base malt
5.7% caramunich malt
3.7 % Roasted barley malt
3.4 % Oats
2.9% carahell malt
1.8% black malt
1.8% chocolate malt

hops
75 min with Northern Brewer 38.5 ibu
12 min with Golding 5.6 ibu

Mash 155F
Boil 90 min

starting gravity 1.092
final gravity 1.022

add .8% dextrose to boil.

they said this was for 5 gallons.
HOw many pounds of grain is this? please please please help.

I’ll assume you are an extract brewer?

1st we have to convert % to lbs. Then grain to extract.

You would need to know how much grain it take to get to 1.090 gravity. As an example you might need 20lb for a 5 gallon batch. So you take each % from the 20lbs.

Then we convert the base malt to extract.

Or monkey with some brewing software that show the %.

Give me a few minutes to work in BeerTools.

This is where brewing software really comes in handy. Here’s how I would do this in Brewer’s Friend:

Enter all the ingredients with a weight equal to the percentage listed (i.e., 77 pounds of 2 row, 5.7 lb caramunich, etc.). Once all the fermentables are added, adjust the batch size until you get the calculated OG to be 1.092. Once you find this, use the “Scale” feature to scale the recipe back down to your desired batch size (5 gallons in your case).

Once you have your grain bill and batch size figured out, you would just play with the amounts of hops at each addition to match the IBU’s you want.

Because of the high gravity, I used 65% efficiency. Adjust for your unique system if doing AG. The LME/DME are fine for extract and the specialty grains should not need adjusting.
I was not to far off with my 20lb statement. 20lb @ 65% efficiency came out to 1.088 :shock:

Size: 5.0 gal
Efficiency: 65.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 304.45 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.091
Terminal Gravity: 1.023
Color: 30.87 (0.0 - 50.0)
Alcohol: 9.01% (0.0% - 10.0%)
Bitterness: 44.6 (0.0 - 50.0)

Ingredients:
16.5 lb American 2-row (8.5lb extra light DME, 10.5lb light LME)
1.197 lb Caramunich® TYPE I
12.64 oz Roasted Barley
11.68 oz Oats Flaked
10.4 oz Carahell®
6.4 oz Black Malt
6.05 oz Chocolate Malt
2.72 oz dextrose
1.3 oz Northern Brewer (8.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
.7 oz Goldings (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 12 min

Color 30.87
ABV 9.01%
IBU 44.6

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.11

The hops are based upon the current AA% of the year. So depending on what the package says compared to the % I used, you will need to adjust.

1.3oz of 8% = 10.4 AAU. So if you hops are 7%… 10.4/7= 1.485oz of hops.
.7oz of 5% = 3.5 AAU

This should get you real close

both of you have my deepest thanks.

Just my opinion but I’d scratch the flaked oats if you’re doing extract, it will just add starch and haze and very little fermentables.

Thanks for the reminder GM, I was going to comment that you might want to add .5-1lb of 2row to the specialty grains because of the oats. Kind of a little mini mash.

Erockrph, that’s a nice and easier way to get there when the program has a “scale” feature.

If it doesn’t, a little math will get you there.

This is a solid beer…let us know how it turns out! Anyone know if this is the norm when asking for a recipe at 2 bros?! I’d love to have one for their Philosopher’s Stone Black Session or Pillar of Salt…couple of their limited 15 bomber releases.

I don’t know if its a normal thing or not. They gave me Northwind and Cane and Ebel. You can always ask. They are really nice there. I want the Revelry recipe but I would feel greedy going and asking. If you have any luck please be sure to post it.