Northern brewer prices

Gas prices are on the rise, if you haven’t noticed. ANY agricultural product is going to go UP this year, a lot.

NB is MUCH cheaper on ingredients than my local places. And, because of their high turn around, I know my ingredients are fresh. Now, some equipment makes more sense for me to buy outright at local shops IF I am in the area. Carboys, buckets, etc. I bought a 21" stainless spoon this weekend because I forgot to order one with my last order. Also picked up bottle caps because they were cheaper than NB, and I figured what the heck, why not?

If you go in person, you are able to get 10% off for being member of a club. (My club anyway) That might save you pocket book a bit.

[quote=“DoomDD”]I live near both the new NB and Midwest. I’m a big fan of NB and the culture they’ve created. They support the Brewing Network, produce BTV, act as ambassadors for homebrewing in MN and WI. I’ve only been brewing for a little over a year and have learned a lot from TBN and BTV so I prefer to support the store that is more involved in the brewing community.

Agree. I work near both and think both do a great job. However, when I found out a client (an insurance company) of the company I work for was one of the recent investors in Midwest I lost a little faith. So far it seems that it’s business as usual at MW, but time will tell when outside investors who don’t necessarily understand homebrewing want higher returns.

I think the guys at both places are great people who really love what they do. How many businesses do you come across as a consumer that really love and believe in the product they do? I’ll support them the best I can, but in the end I’m only a little consumer who brews 10 gallons about once a month on average.

I do have to say thought I love NB’s Lyndale store and it’s so convenient.

i buy all my grains and yeast from my LHBS.

i go to NB to buy bungs, hoses, stir bars, air filters, hops by the lb, and any other miscellaneous items

+1.

My LHBS owner is a member of the community I live in, and his employee is, too. Even though I could save 50% or more buying from the internet, it’s worth it to me to support my community.[/quote]

I always like to do the same for supporting my community, ie taking my car to “Jim’s auto service” instead of Wal Mart for oil change, buying gas from the guys that took over their dad’s gas station and still pump, however I have no local HBS. Maybe 3-3.5 hours one way and fed ex comes right to my door.

I have to drive one thousand, one hundred miles to get to Northern Brewer. (Visiting family ) I have no local shop where I live. Bought 4 fifty pound sacks of malt last summer. A female employee handed me the sacks as I placed them on top of my van. Pretty good service. posting.php?mode=reply&f=1&t=108288&sid=d36f0b820a86084af98ee153182ec5af#