Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Northern brewer prices

Does it seem like prices have gone up pretty sharply at NB? I have ALWAYS ordered from NB, but I went somewhere else for my last order. $17 for a fermenting bucket?

I have to say I have bought all my ingredients from that other place due to saving $10 bucks every time I price compare. I have also looked at other item I need/want and those items are quite different in price as well so I know where I will be buying them. I do like the extract kits at NB so that is where I get my kits.

I try to buy from my LHBS or at least from one in my state but I still like to buy some things from NB occasionally. Usually it’s gear and not ingredients. It’s fun to get packages from UPS.

NB packages are always fun to get! And the quality/professionalism of all they do can’t be beat! Thanks NB! :cheers:

If you look at market reports you’ll see EVERYTHING is going up at a fast rate. I purchase from N.B. as well as my local places and see the increases and notifications every time. it’s the sad world of inflation.if you shop anywhere else you will see the increases as well. it’s not going to go away.

The fast filling and shipping of my orders for $7.99, the quality of their inventory plus the fact that they responded quickly to a problem that I did have with an order one time will keep me coming back, if that means a couple extra dollars that is ok with me.

You know I was looking at my favorite NB’s Cream Ale and it used to be like $13.50 now it is $15.55 when I saw the rise in price I was quite shocked. You can’t argue with NB’s customer service and prompt shipping. I bought from my LHBS website and got free shipping, but it took them 1 week to pack the whole thing another 4 days in transit and then they send me 2 Lbs of the wrong malt. I then had to call them and get it sorted out which took an extra 4 more days. At least with NB they get everything done the first time. I still buy from NB when it comes to equipment though and I am addicted to their forum too! :slight_smile: As a customer you always have the right to bring your business elsewhere and you get what you pay for.

I’ve shopped around a fair amount and while you might save a few bucks at one or another online vendor on any given order, overall with shipping included the rates are very similar. NB moves a lot of material, so I think you see price increases simply because they become subject to them faster than other suppliers. I know there were increases in malt prices that became effective in February.

My current NB order was placed Tuesday night, and is out for delivery today. Sweet. Two Wyeast lambic blends for sours, some Ashburne Mild malt for a mild, and some new hops.

Depends what I am buying, most things I get at NB for grains hops yeast, some fittings, etc some things I go to midwest for because they are way cheaper mainly carboys, buckets, BB, somethings are the same price but when there different there different by 10 bucks or so IME
I bought a oxygen setup and it was a 10 difference between the two places

I guess it just seemed that for my particular order, it was about $30 cheaper to go elsewhere. I’ll always be a fan of Northern Brewer, and have ordered the vast majority of supplies from them.

my last purchase of a bunch of supplies was about that difference to after I bought everything.

I had the same thing, hence my response. If I can save $10 and drive to Midwest which is closer I will. If I brew 10 times a year that’s $100. I agree with all the others as well, great place and great customer service, but for a savings and I don’t ship I pick it up… I go to the place where I save money these days.

I had the same thing, hence my response. If I can save $10 and drive to Midwest which is closer I will. If I brew 10 times a year that’s $100. I agree with all the others as well, great place and great customer service, but for a savings and I don’t ship I pick it up… I go to the place where I save money these days.[/quote]

yep and the new one is very close to midwest (with in a few miles probably) I normally go to NB (for support of brewing TV and such and the classes they do) but if it is stuff that is way more expensive I will go elsewhere they will have to stay competitive with prices I would think with another major payer right next door.

you can betyourbutt that everybody will be increasing prices now that fuel prices are skyrocketing.

NB is about 1.5 miles from me. To drive out to Midwest does not seem worth my trouble to save a dollar or two.

I price shop every order - it all depends upon what I’m ordering, it’s the same distance for me to travel so I just go with the cheaper source each time

which one?
The new one and midwest are not that far apart and if I am going to pick up a few carboys or something where the prices are much different, 30 bucks saved is well worth it.

I havent bought a bucket lately but last time I did NB had the cheap ones without the supports on the bottom and midwest had the nice ones with all the support pieces on the bottom and cheaper

Yup, prices on some things have/are going up. Look at the situation with citra/simcoe/etc, the hop distributors aren’t even producing enough to last for a few months. Some sections of the industry are taking longer to catch up with the upswing in demand, so as a result, they’re charging a premium. Also keep in mind that all NB locations charge the exact same prices.

Price of the malt went up about 20% for this year (November to November).

I like NB, but www.brewmasterswarehouse.com has the brew builder which makes customizing any batch a breeze. Plus they have 6.99 flat shipping. I order on Monday and by Weds it’s on my door step!Sorry NB your off the mark just a tad!

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com