Northern Brewer base malts

What’s the deal with Northern Brewer and changing the available bulk grains? Can’t get Best or Weyemann sacks of pils malt anymore? It’s only listed as by the pound. This is annoying.

Hi Beersk,

They’re now located on their own page. They weren’t searchable for a brief time, but we are fixing it (if it hasn’t been fixed already).

You can navigate to the bulk grains section by the menu options on the left, or the page is located here:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brew ... ing-grains

-Gabe @ NB

Well, I noticed that page for “Bulk Grains”, but it doesn’t seem to have things like Weyermann Pilsner malt, Best Pils, or Warminster floor malted Maris Otter. So that’s kind of why I was posting about it. I know how Northern Brewer likes to package specialty grains in 1 pound bags and don’t want to get 50 separate bags of pilsner malt either.

Best guess is they’re just re-doing their online malt stuff. I know at least in store they still have the floor malted Maris Otter as I pick up a sack.

Cool, glad to “hear” it. I have a sack of Best pils right now, but am wanting to switch it up with Weyermann pils for my next sack. The Warminster floor malted maris otter is awesome as is, I won’t be switching that one up.

Haven’t tried Best’s Pils but I do like the Weyerman floor malted Bohemian pilsner, made both a bo pils and helles out of it that I like quite a bit.

Nice. I think the Best is good. I’m just wanting to try some other ones out as well. Weyermann is more expensive unfortunately, but you pay for quality right? Speaking of quality, do not use Rahr pils and expect to get a good helles. Gross. Cheap means cheap here.

Not the first time I’ve heard someone say that. I’ve only used Weyerman Pilsner Malt (regular and floor malted) and have been very happy so I’m not inclined to want to change. Hope NB continues to get in the floor malted varieties since I don’t think I’ve ever heard a complaint about any of them and I’ve been very happy with the beers where I’ve used it. Sure they cost more but the incremental cost in a batch isn’t too bad.

Sure they cost more but the incremental cost in a batch isn’t too bad.[/quote]
That’s true. But I don’t mind either. Quality in = quality out.

Nice. I think the Best is good. I’m just wanting to try some other ones out as well. Weyermann is more expensive unfortunately, but you pay for quality right?[quote][/quote] Speaking of quality, do not use Rahr pils and expect to get a good helles. Gross. Cheap means cheap here.[/quote][quote][/quote]

I highly recommend Belgian pilsner malt, too. The malt selection from our host site seems to change like the wind, but I know that they still have pilsner malt from FrancoBelges maltsters (a Belgian company, I believe), at $1.79 a pound. I think the last time I bought such a product here, it was just called “Belgian pilsner malt”, with no maltster specified. I made an excellent IPA with that as the base malt. With most top-drawer base malts costing $1.99 a pound these days, you can save at least a couple of bucks on a batch using that malt, and you’ll get great results. I know a couple of bucks isn’t a whole lot of dough, but when you’re brewing really good beer, it all adds up, and it helps to get a break wherever and whenever you can. :slight_smile:

Hey guys,

If you see a grain that’s not listed at the bulk grains page, just call us to place an order, make sure we know it’s not online so that we can get it added, there may have been a few we missed.

Floor Malted Bohemian Pils is the shiz. I use it in all my decocted lagers. Bear in mind that it has a lower FAN than is typical.

[quote=“gforce360”]Hey guys,

If you see a grain that’s not listed at the bulk grains page, just call us to place an order, make sure we know it’s not online so that we can get it added, there may have been a few we missed.

Floor Malted Bohemian Pils is the shiz. I use it in all my decocted lagers. Bear in mind that it has a lower FAN than is typical.[/quote]
Thanks. I like to know the prices before I decide to buy though. Some of those malts for a sack are like $84, which is a bit steep for me. So, can we assume that the malts listed on the base grains page can all be purchased in 50 or 55lb sacks?

Sorry, there’s another topic that was addressing grain prices, which we lowered for a lot of sack late last night. The prices might not go into effect on the website, though (it takes a little while for everything to sync up). The other thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=120480

It’s pretty safe to say that just about any grain we have is available in a sack, but some of the specialty stuff might have a longer lead time of it, since we carry less.

Shoot us an email at info@northernbrewer.com or give us a call, we can always get you set up with what you need to know.

Thanks, man. Appreciate it.