No way OG of Winter Warmer is 1.069

So I just brewed NB’s Winter Warmer and I can’t believe that this grain bill will produce a 1.069 OG beer. Here’s the list:

11.5 Ibs. Maris Otter
1 Ibs. Eng. Med. Crystal
.25 Ibs. Eng. Chocolate Malt

My O.G. after brewing was about 1060-1062. I’m not complaining, but I find it difficult to believe that NB’s instructions are accurate on the 1069 claim.

Thoughts?

NG’s target o.g. sounds about right. Depending on efficiency, you’re likely to get a range of 1.064-1.074 with that grain bill. Probably around 1.071 or so with 75% efficiency.

Seems about right. What efficiency are they saying?

That’s about 70-75% efficiency, and NB’s recipes all use 70% or 75%.

I batch sparge and have found it very difficult to get 70-75% efficiency with NB’s crush. Anything approaching 1.070 I get closer to 60% and usually have to throw in some DME. I’ve done the same recipe with my LHBS crushed grain and had better efficiency.

I would rather just pay the $7 for shipping than drive 30 minutes, but what can you do.

[quote=“breslinp”]
I would rather just pay the $7 for shipping than drive 30 minutes, but what can you do.[/quote]

Just add a little extra base malt to the recipe to compensate, no big deal. Or you could always buy a mill, don’t think many people regret making that purchase.

The mill is on my Christmas list. :slight_smile:

Hopefully Santa will be good to you then, better leave him a tall glass of winter wamer with the cookies just to be sure. :cheers:

I agree, based on the last few brews I did.

I’ve been hitting better than 80% efficiency of late and am pretty certain that on my system that grain bill would get me pretty close to 1.075, if not a little more.

The extract kit hits the target gravity right on every time…

Did you measure how much liquid you had in the kettle post boil? People often calculate 6 gallons recipes because this is the amount they need to have post boil to yield 5 gallons of beer after trub losses in the kettle and fermenter

Well, it would have to. With the all-grain kit it’s possible to miss the target gravity by missing the target mash efficiency.

Wow. I mill my grain at NB so now I’m wondering if this is why my efficiency has been so low for the past year (60-65%).

I use a mash ratio of 1.3 quarts/ibs. and batch sparge. I’m wondering if I try my buddy’s grain mill and see if my efficiency goes up. I can’t imagine that it has anything to do with my process at this point.

BTW, any recommendations on a quality grain mill since we’re talking about it?

[quote=“Gopher Brewmeister”]Wow. I mill my grain at NB so now I’m wondering if this is why my efficiency has been so low for the past year (60-65%).

I use a mash ratio of 1.3 quarts/ibs. and batch sparge. I’m wondering if I try my buddy’s grain mill and see if my efficiency goes up. I can’t imagine that it has anything to do with my process at this point.[/quote]
True… As long as your mash PH is within range. IMO Crush & Mash PH are two of the most important factors that will effect your mash efficiency. Cheers!!!

For a coarse crush you can compensate with a longer mash time and/or a decoction. I think you can see a boost of 5% from either of these.