No Starter with 1050 OG?

Is a 1050 OG too much with one smack pack and no starter? I know Wyeast says you can go up to 1060, but personally I’ve never pushed it past 1040 without doing a starter. I’d like to avoid any off flavors. The date on the smack pack is July 31st, 2012. So it’s two months old. Wy3787 (Westmalle).

JZ’s calculator says I need at least two packs… :\

[quote=“alanzo”]Is a 1050 OG too much with one smack pack and no starter? I know Wyeast says you can go up to 1060, but personally I’ve never pushed it past 1040 without doing a starter. I’d like to avoid any off flavors. The date on the smack pack is July 31st, 2012. So it’s two months old.

JZ’s calculator says I need at least two packs… :[/quote]
with that age, I’d make a small starter with it at 1.050. you probably don’t need to, but it’s better safe than sorry. :cheers:

3787 is a pretty active yeast so you might be OK. Given it already produces a fairly fruity product, I’d probably make a small starter though.

I try to always make a starter no matter the OG. I like to see fermentation start as quick as possible. Not to mention they only take about twenty mins to make.