No Sparge BIAB Max Grain Calculator

[quote=“Beersk”]I don’t see why I couldn’t do step mashes this way either, it only took like 5 minutes to get from mash temp to mashout with constant stirring.[/quote]Yep, step mashes in a direct-fired kettle with the grains held in a bag couldn’t be easier.

What do you have your mill gap set at? I re-adjusted mine to .030" from .025". I ended up hitting 77% efficiency yesterday with a half gallon more wort in the fermenter than expected and 2 points higher OG. I don’t imagine opening the gap .005" would make too much of a difference, ya think?

My MM-3 is at 0.026 - just to this side of “wow, that’s a lot of flour!”

Well, it worked, but the hand crank on my Barley Crusher was slipping and I couldn’t tighten it any more. And yes, I didn’t think “Wow, that’s a lot of flour!”

Do your arm a favor and get a cheap corded drill from Harbor Freight. I typically mill 40-50 lbs at a time, so there’s no way I would do it by hand, but even 10-12 lbs can be a chore if the gap is tight.

It hasn’t been that big of a deal, but a drill would be nice. My batches with this MIAB/BIAB method are 3 gallon batches, so I would only use like 8-10lbs of grain max. Milling that much isn’t horrible, but I do plan to get a drill soon.

It hasn’t been that big of a deal, but a drill would be nice. My batches with this MIAB/BIAB method are 3 gallon batches, so I would only use like 8-10lbs of grain max. Milling that much isn’t horrible, but I do plan to get a drill soon.[/quote]

My arm hurts just thinking about it

Nah, it’s good for ya. Anyway, this beer I brewed, it’s strange, it’s fermenting pretty vigorously, but there’s no krausen formation. I used US-05…never seen this happen before.

You guys ever get that? I hope it’s not contaminated…it’d be the first in a long time.