No Krausen After 72 Hours!?

:expressionless:

So 3 batches in and I’m finally learning one of the many benefits of taking a gravity reading. Wish I had learned this earlier as it’s now biting me in the ass. That being said, I’ve learned a lot from what could be my first failed brew! That being said- hopefully you guys can help me save my nonfermenting beer!

So let’s lay down the basics:

1.) I'm brewing the St Paul Porter extract kit, and since it didn't come with yeast, I got WLP005 British Ale Yeast to go along with it. 2.) I didn't realize the importance of a starter when using liquid active yeast ([b]FIRST MISTAKE[/b]) 3.) Good sanitizing and aeration before pitching. 3.) Pitched the yeast at roughly 75 degrees on Saturday evening. 4.) It's been just about 72 hours and I'm seeing little to no activity at all. I see the smallest rim of brown around the edge of my brew, which is giving me hope of krausen forming. I can post a picture if that helps?

Couple of questions I’d like to bounce off you guys:

1.) I've read on a few different forms now, differing opinions on the true importance of a starter with the liquid yeast. Obviously it will improve the start time of fermentation, but should I expect this much of a lag? 2.) I actually have an extra pack of dry yeast from the caribou slobber that came with my first kit, but I was an idiot back then (and apparently still am :shock: ) and didn't refrigerate it. Any chance this is still a good pack of yeast? If so, should I consider pitching it into my current porter to see if that saves it? 3.) Should I shut up, chill out, and wait a few more days to see if patience pays off?

Any and all help appreciated. And as always, thank you everyone for helping out all the new brewers on these boards. One of the many reasons why the brewing community rocks! :cheers:

1.) I’ve read on a few different forms now, differing opinions on the true importance of a starter with the liquid yeast. Obviously it will improve the start time of fermentation, but should I expect this much of a lag?

The porter has an estimated OG of 1.052. A fresh pack of yeast could handle that OG well. Your yeast could have been two months old. Older yeast should have a starter to build more cells. Longer lag time in this situation. Sounds like a krausen is forming though. Are you using a bucket or carboy? Bucket lids will leek CO2 diminishing air lock activity.

2.) I actually have an extra pack of dry yeast from the caribou slobber that came with my first kit, but I was an idiot back then (and apparently still am ) and didn’t refrigerate it. Any chance this is still a good pack of yeast? If so, should I consider pitching it into my current porter to see if that saves it?

[color=#0000BF]This yeast is still good. Shelf life of two years. Longer if refrigerated.
You have a krausen forming. Won’t need more yeast. Keep the fermenting wort 65° or a bit lower.[/color]

3.) Should I shut up, chill out, and wait a few more days to see if patience pays off?

chill out, and wait a few more days… patience pays off

Thanks man. Hopefully I’ll start to see a bit more activity by tomorrow. I didn’t want to use the Yeast Nutrient this time around because I had a near disaster that a last second blow-off tube saved. Now I’m wishing I threw it in for this brew as well!