No Bubbles

Brewed the Dead Ringer IPA (1 gallon version) but use 3 oz of hops instead of the <1 oz that comes with kit. Pitched yeast (wort was about 64 degrees F and just sprinkled on top rather than my usual rehydrated yeast) about 27 hours ago. Fermenting at about 65 degrees F. There’s a nice 1.5-inch-thick kraeusen but no bubbles thru blow off tube. I don’t smell the typical smell that this stage produces, so I don’t think the screw cap is leaking.

I’ve only brewed about five beers to date and, while the final product has been good, I recently found out that my last beers were fermented at the higher temp range (the fermometer readings were around 72-74. During past brews, I’ve had a very active fermentation period that lasted about 24 hours.

Could the lack of bubbles at this stage be attributed to the fact that I’m fermenting at a cooler temp than I normally do? Are the excessive hops to blame? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks,
FM

Possible that fermentation happened when you were not looking and the krausen is still present?

Maybe, but I check it every 6-8 hours. The time before I noticed the kraeusen there was nothing. The fact that there’s kraeusen is a good sign even though I don’t see bubbles, right? Anything I should worry about?

Worry? No.

Strange? Maybe.

Yeast eat sugar. CO2 (bubbles) and alcohol is produced. Krausen is composed of extraneous wort protein, hop resins, and some yeast, dead and alive.

5 gallon batches of beer have fermented out in 24hrs before. So it’s possible a 1 gallon batch finished while you were not looking.

Let it sit for a week or two and then bottle.

3 oz in a 1 gallon batch? WOW. All at once or spread out?

Thanks Nighthawk! 1 oz at 45, 1 oz at 20, .75 at 5, and .25 at flameout. I like bitter and hoppy (used citra hops for the last additions). Hopefully it’s drinkable.

Looking at my carboy really close, I can see thousands of tiny bubbles (or what appear to be bubbles) rising from the bottom to the top. The krausen is moving too but does not appear to be inching closer to the top of the carboy. I’ve never looked this closely at a fermentation. Is this normal? I thought ale yeast are top fermenters.

Top/bottom fermenting? Never understood that.

Both lager and ale yeast are spread throughout the wort. Producing CO2 that rises to the top, churning the mixture. Also, fermentation generates heat. Which will also churn the mixture. Neat to watch.

If your fermentation is done, the bubbles you see are CO2 molecules joining together and rising to the top. Similar to when you pour a beer in a glass. Or if fermentation is still going on, you have a leak somewhere. Not an issue.