No Body

If you put dry hops into the primary with active fermentation it will scrub out the aroma.

I think the fermintation was done, the SG bottomed out

Add a teaspoon or two of gypsum, that will kick it up a notch.

I agree with @dmtaylo2. The gypsum will dry it out a little making the hops more prevalent.

If fermentation had ceased the hop aroma wasn’t scrubbed. Did you add the DH in a bag or just dump them in? If you cramped the 3oz in a bag it could very well be likely that the oils weren’t utilized because of the small surface area.

Oxidation will also make those hop flavors and aroma fade VERY fast. That might be another area to watch.

I DH’ED by just dumping it in and put the carboy in the frig to get the hopps to drop prior to racking. After I did the Hopping it bubbled quite a bit, that’s why I thought it might have vented away. I do have a nice aroma, it’s just not as stronger as I wanted.

The bubbling could have been caused by CO2 coming out of solution as the hops created a nucleation site or by the O2 that was in the hops.
I really think your aroma is lacking due to having zero late hop additions.

So, how soon after adding hops did you put the carboy into the fridge? Sneezles61

If I remember right the dry hops were in for about 7 days and then I put it in the frig for about 12 hours and the next day we transfered to the keg

1 Like

I am learning through you and reading that dry hopping can and should be done in steps. The next time I’ll use somthing to contain them. If you multi step dry hopping do you remove the old hop before putting in the new hops?

Now there a good conversation, I usually only put in one charge and after some time, then put the keg in the fridge for serving. Multiple charges I haven’t done and what I read is that there gets to be a time when its too long for dry hopping, and I think its room temp its being talked about. Others will have something to add! Sneezles61