No Body

I have a new keg of pilsner/rye IPA I just made in my frig. It’s been conditioning for about 7 days, we tasted it and it had all the hop flavors and aromas we wanted but the body of the beer is lacking! “Not a lot of taste” is there something we can add to bring out the body or maybe will conditioning it longer help?

Can you post the recipe? That might not help now but may for the next batch.

I’m not sure there is a good fix after it’s already kegged but aging it a little won’t hurt.

I would be curious to see the recipe as well. What was the OG and did you use RO water or anything like that?

Also post your mashing regimen.

I used RO water treated Ca: 88, Mg: 45, Cl:160, SO4: 50, HCO3: 216
9.3lb Pilsner2row
1lb Oats Malted
1lb Rye Flaked
Mashed 90 minutes @150°
Fly Sparge @170° 30 minutes I sparged on some tin foil 6" round to even the water and part of my problem could have been the a bad sparge from under the tin foil. My next brew I did a batch sparge.
Post boil SG Didn’t take it:(
90 Minute boil
1oz chinook at 45 minutes left of boil
Post boil SG 1.053
1 Yeast: Wyeast 1332 at 72°
4 days before racking I dry hopped with 3 oz Chinook
14 days later final SG 1.010

Should have mentioned:
PH 5.4 tem minutes into mash
Kegged directly from the primary carboy
Oxygenated the wort primary carboy at .5 ML Oxygen for 25 seconds prior to pitching yeast
Refrigerated Keg right away

150F for 90 minutes is going to be a very fermentable wort, even with the oats. 1.010 is pretty low final gravity. I’d mash a little higher next time for only 60 minutes to let it finish a little higher, or maybe increase the oats to 20% of grist.

For this beer, it might help to increase carbonation. There’s a reason why saison is so highly carbed, which usually finished much lower than 1.010 but still has a decent mouth-feel.

I agree with @porkchop that a 90 min mash at 150° will produce a very fermentable wort. In addition your fly sparge should last a minimum 45 mins and should ideally be closer to 60 mins.

Higher carbonation will result in increased mouthfeel. Another option is to dissolve some maltodextrine in some boiling water and add it. BUT you can’t add it directly to the keg or the beer will foam over. You’ll need to add it to an empty keg and transfer the beer over.

I’ll try this recipe again and try some of those suggestions, thanks. I took it out of the frig and will let it sit for a week or two.
Thanks

I don’t think taking it out the fridge now will do anything for you. Now may be a good one for fruit flavoring. NB has some so you could add to yer liking… Sneezles61

I’ve never added fruit flavor I’ll look into it

Malted oats will convert to sugar just like the pilsener malt, so they are not adding to the body. You could add a little english crystal rye, (fairly dry flavor, not very caramelly) or switch your base malt to something like Maris Otter. Using small amounts of light toasted malt like victory or biscuit can add to the malt character and body without tasting too sweet as well. A mash of 45-60 minutes is plenty. As has already been mentioned, 90min will result in a very fermentable wort and a dry, light body.

So, a 90 minute mash allows the sugar chains to break down to even smaller, more digestible chains for the yeast? Curious… Sneezles61

I tried to make this beer only knowing percentages of grain and approximate amount of hops. Their beer is fantastic, this was my first attempt. Do you think the tin foil during the Mash could have blocked the flavors from draining during the fly sparge?

Also their beer has citris notes and I didn’t get that from the hopps. I had more of bitter flavor not citris.

1 Like

Style of hops, chinook, to me, is more for bittering, I like the good ol’ stand by, cascade. And even centennial, but that can git over whelming… Sneezles61

1 Like

Your citrus flavor is lacking because you didn’t add any citrus focused hops late in the boil. 3oz dry hop seems like an awful lot. I would lower that to 2 oz and use the additional 1oz at the end of the boil, say with 1min remaining. I also find chinook to be a “rough” bittering hop.

Who is “their?” What beer are you trying to emulate?

The Burlington beer Co in Vermont. “Light in the window IPA”
They have so many good beers! One change I’ll make in the recipe is to dry hop for less days because I think a lot of it vented out.

When did you add the dry hops? Before or after fermentation?

I put them in in the primary fermintation with about six days before transferring to the keg