Nice find

Got this at the goodwill today 2$. Anyone have it? The pictures alone are fabulous

4 Likes

Very nice find!
I always keep my eyes open… I’d like to acquire some old MJ writings…
Sneezles61

I loved the pictures of the nuns pounding some pints and running some breweries. I went to parochial school so i can see it

Pretty sure thats my grandma and grandpa there dancing there

1 Like

Book is full of unknown secrets

2 Likes

Crazy thoughts… Perhaps?
Sneezles61

Reading this for inspiration. Doesn’t have recipes but stuff on technique and styles

Mentions the best temperature to lager 32f-40f which is something i do but ive heard otherwise on the forum. Also minimum of 21 days

What little bit of snow we’ve gotten, I started a pile out the brewery door just for lagering… I believe you’ve put that thought in my head… :sunglasses:
Process for the old world stuff would be the great reading…
Sneezles61

Correct when we have a big snow event i stRt a snow cave off the end of my porch and store the kegs in it. I set the kegs on the steps with a piece of plywood for a roof. I just continue to pile yhe snow on. One year we had so much snow i couldn’t get to the kegs until spring. Some of the best lagers iade

3 Likes

Another interesting fact

2 Likes

I remember that myth as far back as the 1970s, and thinking Pabst Bock tasted pretty good to be bottom scum.

1 Like

I learned it was lower in the barrel. Lighter beer came out first. Stronger and darker as you got lower. Stout was bottom of the barrel. See how rumers start

Yes… I remember that kinda stuff too… “Don’t drink that stuff, its bottom barrel crap for the cheap bastards”!!
I think there are still a butt load of rumors alive and well today… :confused:
Sneezles61

Right, it was kind of a spring cleaning, they drained their fermenters and ended up with Bock beer.:joy:

On the plus side, when the Bock beer showed up it meant that winter(and we had real winters back then )was finally going to end and warmer weather was right around the corner…. …as well as baseball in Cincinnati!

1 Like

Another thing i just found. Ive brewed a stienbeir using heated rock method. What i just read about is once the rocks are cooled and have the carmalized sugar on them they are placed in the fermenter for a secondary fermentation. This book is inspirational

3 Likes

Im loving this book. In the 17th century 30% percent of the population of Hanover was in the brewing trade. It would have been more but only licences were given to people whos homes were fireproof

IF you’ve seen “how beer saved the world”… then there is a point that wasn’t brought up… Fire proofing!! :joy:
Sneezles61