I was getting ready brew my winter beer and when going to the frig, I noticed my Yeast pack was swollen. its wyeast, direct pitch activator for brewing.

I opened it (probably not good,) and brok the activator and sealed it back up.

Should I dump it and get some more yeast?

I would use it. I always make a starter when I use liquid yeast.

The pack was swelling so the yeast was not dead. The pack inside is not really an activator. It is yeast nutrient which is food. Use this yeast as soon as possible before your seal is broken.

I did not want to take a chance, and doing a Google search, it seems this is common issue with the brand of yeast. But many still use it.

I wanted to do my beer this weekend, and went to a local store. When I told them what I wanted, they told me they stopped carrying it due to problems with it “swelling” in the packages.

Think I’ll skip Wyeast in my future orders.

Thanks for the replys!!!

Make a starter with the yeast and brew next weekend. Starter would be needed anyway. Brewers Friend has a good starter calculator.

I’ve used swollen pkgs many times. It is not an issue. Wyeast has fine yeast as does White Labs. For best results I make starters for all liquid yeast, just like many have stated. Recently I have even used expired liquid yeast up to a year with starters and they have performed like normal. My LHBS sells them 1/2 price. I’ve quit worrying about yeast.

Which strain was it? Wyeast states on a couple of the strains that this is not unusual and the yeast is good.

I was using the Wyeast 1056 American Ale yeast.

If I create a starter, does it matter what DME I use? Seems to be a ton of different types.

pale malt extract, maybe wheat in a pinch.

I hate those activator packs, which is one of the reasons i am more of a White Labs guy.

Use the lightest color available for your starters.
WY1056 is one of the yeasts that will almost always be slightly swollen.

Get some US-05 dry ale yeast and be done with it.

[quote=“DarkSider”]I did not want to take a chance, and doing a Google search, it seems this is common issue with the brand of yeast. But many still use it.

I wanted to do my beer this weekend, and went to a local store. When I told them what I wanted, they told me they stopped carrying it due to problems with it “swelling” in the packages.

Think I’ll skip Wyeast in my future orders.[/quote]
There are a lot of ill-informed homebrew shop employees/owners. If they really stopped carrying Wyeast because of inflated packs, it was not because viability was compromised. It was for some other reason (e.g., storage space or overly-cautious customers). An inflated pack is actually an indicator that the yeast IS viable. Feel free to use other brands if you wish, but I would advise against avoiding Wyeast if your sole reason is that a pack may occasionally inflate in transit.

FYI: White Labs is switching to soft packs this fall.

[quote=“kcbeersnob”]

FYI: White Labs is switching to soft packs this fall.[/quote]

see my avatar.

CMON!