Newbie Kegger Question

Hey All,

Just bought my first keg and set up at my LHBS tonight…paid way to much I think, but at least a local business got some support…anyway…I bought a used keg and he gave me an O Ring set…I apparantly don’t have a wrench the right size to remove the CO2 and beer valves from the top in order to clean/change O Rings…but can someone tell me what size they are, so I buy the right ones the first time? Thanks in advance…and any other advice for a newbie kegger will also be appreciated!..Just finally grew tired of bottling…I’ll still bottle for a while but at least not every batch!

It’s a #22. A 7/8" will also work if you can’t find the metric socket.

Get some food-grade silicone lubricant (here

, but probably also at your local big-box store) and put a light film on all the gaskets to make sure you don’t have any leaks.

Thanks for the quick reply…I’ll be filling that thing for the first time tomorrow after I’ve prepped it!

[quote=“a10t2”]It’s a #22. A 7/8" will also work if you can’t find the metric socket.

Get some food-grade silicone lubricant (here

, but probably also at your local big-box store) and put a light film on all the gaskets to make sure you don’t have any leaks.[/quote]

cheapest route is to buy an O2 sensor socket from your local autoparts or harborfreight. about $5. they are also 7/8 or 22mm.

cheers.

Per somebody’s advice here, I bought this ratcheting combination wrench
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00943365000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1
. Most of them use the 7/8" side, but some use the 11/16" side. And it’s 12 point so it works with the 6 point flat and the star hex on some kegs.

Thanks to all of you for the replies and help…the “dispense” is indeed a 22 mm…but the other (gas) fitting is a start type…

I bought a couple rounds of kegs and have 3 different sized posts. Crescent adjustable does the trick.

I use the 7/8 wrench with one side the standard, and the other “Star” looking side.

Picked up a set of 11 for 19 bucks at Home Depot, since I don’t have a set already wasn’t too bad.