Newbie Buying a Brewing Kit...What brew pot?

I’d seriously consider the turkey fryer option. No, it is not big enough to comfortably do full volume 5 gallon batches, but it is plenty big enough to get you going on extract or to use as a HLT later on, gives you a propane burner that you can use on your 10 gallon pot if you decide to upgrade later, and if you decide you don’t like brewing, still will allow you to fry turkeys. And it is cheap.

i do have a turkey fryer set-up, so i have the burner. only thing is, the kettle is aluminum and used for many years ex. turkeys, canning, sweet corn and crab boils. i don’t want the funky smell to transfer to my beer :slight_smile:

When I graduated from 5g to 10g, I bought the Bayou Classic 15.5 gal SS pot from Amazon. $129 + free shipping.

By a large kettle. 40 qt or more. Start doing full boil extract and partial grain recipes. Then when you go all grain you just need the cooler set up. Everybody does it differently. I bought two coolers and set them both up as mash tuns. This way one is a HLT and the other is a Mash Tun. Then when I do really BIG beers(which is rare and the reason I didnt get one really large cooler) I can use both as Mash tuns and use a lot of grain. Does that make sense? Whatever fits your budget.

What? You don’t like crab beer? :mrgreen:
Nothing wrong with aluminum, except it is a bit harder to clean than stainless. I have to say, I really like my Polarware 10 gallon pot with spigot and thermometer, but I’m not sure I’d feel right suggesting someone spend that kind of money before they knew they liked brewing. I started with a ceramic coated canning pot, and something like that is really cheap, but should get you through your first few concentrated extract brews.

UPDATE

I ended up buying a used 40qt polorware kettle w/ ball valve and thermometer, IC and a 5gal carboy from a guy off of another message board. Then went to NB and picked up the basic starter kit, extract kit and a few extra’s the guys recommended. What a great place and what a fun morning of shopping!!! Next Saturday is my first brew day!!!

Congrats hyperlight, and welcome aboard! I just got started 5.5 weeks ago myself and thoroughly enjoyed my first homebrew (Caribou Slobber) over the weekend.

I think it was a good move getting a 10 gallon kettle. I got all of my gear as a Christmas gift, and my wife happened to get me a 7.5 gallon kettle. I never even thought about the volume until I started reading up on full boil vs. partial boil. Now that I’ve read about making even that small jump in my brew process, I’m really glad I don’t have to wring my hands over buying a second kettle.

To others in this thread, are partial mash and all grain brewing feasible with a 7.5 gallon kettle?

i was told a 7.5 gal kettle would be pushing it as most full boil batches start at 6.5gal, and that you would never regret getting a 10 gal kettle. i started out having the intentions to get a 7.5-8gal kettle tell i fond the one i bought.

Gotcha, thanks.

My first year brewing AG was done with a 7 gallon pot. Makes for a very tricky boil, as you have to constantly watch to avoid boil-overs, but it can be done. That pot is now my hot liquor tank.

Get the 15 gal. mega pot with the themometer and ball valve. You will grow into it and your finished buying. I love mine. I just started a year ago. I also bought the 14.5 gal. blichmann fermentor. Awesome piece of equipment to if you can afford it. :cheers:

[quote=“jfkbeer”]Get the 15 gal. mega pot with the themometer and ball valve. You will grow into it and your finished buying. I love mine. I just started a year ago. I also bought the 14.5 gal. blichmann fermentor. Awesome piece of equipment to if you can afford it. :wink: I wasn’t done until I got the 25 gallon Megapot.
:cheers:

I do the same thing; however, I don’t do all grain with it though, so I can’t comment on its feasibility in that respect.

Ok, so I may upgrade :wink: I wasn’t done until I got the 25 gallon Megapot.
:cheers: [/quote]