Newbie Brewer. Block Party Amber Ale FG?

Hello, I got the Brew Share Enjoy Starter Kit for Christmas and it will be 2 weeks tomorrow of 1st fermentation. Very fun process. I started at an OG of 1.040 checked the SG today and it was only 1.020. The beer tastes good but is a little weak. It also appears that the fermentation has stopped (no foam any more) I was planning on bottling on Saturday. What should the FG be for the Block Party? Should I pitch some more yeast?

Thanks advance! Cheers!

Specific gravity of 1.020 seems to high for a finished beer. I would let this one sit for a while longer. More time in the primary will also give you a clearer beer even if the gravity doesn’t drop a few more points. I suggest more time in the primary because a beer that completes fermenting in the bottle can result in dangerous bottle bombs.

Are you using a refractometer or hydrometer for specific gravity? Refractometers are not accurate when alcohol is present.

One of the causes of a fermentation to stop at a high specific gravity is pitching insufficient yeast. I believe this brew kit came with 6 grams of Muntons(?) yeast. Pitching 6 grams dry may not produce a healthy fermentation. Rehydrated dry yeast can have double the healthy cells to start a fermentation compared to pitching dry.

The wort being to cool may cause the yeast to drop out early halting the fermentation. What was your fermentation temperature over the first few days?

Thanks for the response. I am using a hydrometer. The kit did come with a small packet of dry yeast. It has been located in a spare bedroom closet the whole time. The temp in there is 60-70 degrees. When I took a sample last night it appeared that the fermentation had stopped. Foam had resided but there were still bubbles. It had a real carbonated smell to it as well, kind of hard to explain. Should I let it go another week or so before bottling?

Since it has a SG of 1.020 give it another week just in case the SG may drop another point or two. More time would make the risk of bottle bombs less. You will have CO2 produced by the fermentation in the beer for a while. The CO2 will off gas and particles suspended by the CO2 off gassing will drop out. This will clear your beer. Do you have the beer in the primary yet? Just asking. I don’t mean that the beer should be racked to a secondary vessel. I only use a secondary vessel for some additions like oak cubes.

Typical time for my beers in the primary is three weeks. There isn’t any rush to get the beer off the yeast like in the old days when ale yeasts were of dubious quality.

The CO2 in your hydrometer sample tube can also suspend your hydrometer giving a false high SG reading. Spinning the hydrometer can release the CO2 bubbles. You can also wait until the CO2 leaves the sample then read the SG. I spin instead of waiting. Here is a link to an online brewing book. There is a new additon out, but most information in the old edition is still good. This is a worthwhile book to own.
http://howtobrew.com/book/appendices/appendix-a/using-hydrometers

Another reason a beer can finish with a higher than normal SG is fluctuating temperatures. Stresses the yeast and can cause the yeast to drop out early. The fermentor in a tub of water can reduce temperature changes in the fermenting wort.

Take a look at this priming calculator before you get ready to bottle. It is a good one. Also it is much more accurate to weigh the priming sugar solution than trying to use volume measurements.

Good information there Flars, much appreciated. It has and still is in the primary. This recipe doesn’t call for any secondary. I am going to move it to a warmer room around 70-72 and let it go another week. We’ll see what the SG is then. I am hoping I can get it down to at least 1.014. Wish I knew what the FG should be with this particular recipe.

Thanks again.

Can you post the recipe? With the help of the Brewers Friend recipe builder we may be able to get an estimated FG for the yeast you used.