New York

Take out?

He’s on a roll.

4 Likes

:joy:

Overnight sometime in 2005-2006 all of these Vietnamese sandwich shops opened up everywhere. I was completely ignorant of Banh Mi until that moment but there is good and there is bad and I will be a complainer about the bad. We had a tornado hit NYC a few years back and I got stuck in it carrying these sandwiches home to my family. I remember thinking, as sticks and trash flew horizontally past my head. “This is really not safe I should find some shelter.” I turned my back to the wind and discovered that a giant of a man had been following me, ducking in my wake, to stay out of the shrapnel. We both ran for cover besides a large steel telephone junction box and practically hugged each other in what protection the box could afford. When the wind passed with smiled at each other and gave a high-five. I successfully got the sandwiches home and they were still warm.

2 Likes

Damn I thought that story would end with you sharing your sandwich

3 Likes

That’s the movie version. It was a bag of 4 Banh Mi sandwiches and I wasn’t about to share any of them.

2 Likes

I don’t blame you Hanco’s is awesome! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Guess it should go here as well

They flew by our windows today. We got to see both formations trailing smoke. Their flight path made it seem like they were flying just for us.

2 Likes

You would think the Blue Angels would have the latest and greatest jets. A neighbor who is retired Air Force and retired commercial pilot, like 757 size stuff told us they get the junk that is not fit to carry weapons but painted pretty. I think he may have exaggerated the condition of them but he does have some cool stories about flying really large aircraft.

1 Like

I doubt their junk but I could be wrong. Probably a little jealous

1 Like

The Blue Angels fly F/A 18 Hornets which cost over $50M. Far from being junk, they don’t have the range of some other fighter jets but they’re incredibly agile with state of the art avionics controls. I’m sure they’re also very well maintained considering the close formation stunts those guys perform.

Pretty sure the pilots are all Marine and Navy pilots because they have to have had experience flying off an aircraft carrier. Hence the Air Force jealousy since the blue angel pilots are considered the best in the world.

1 Like

Our flyby had the Blue Angels and the Air Force equivalent the Thunderbirds fly in the same formation but away from each other. The Thunderbirds fly F16s I think.
We ordered out for the first time in 8 weeks. One of our favorite pizza place has converted all their restaurant services for take-out and delivery. You can get ready mixed cocktails and beer and you can also order ready made fresh dough if you feel like doing your own custom pizza. Having gone so long without a slice, I got misty eyed taking my first bite.

6 Likes

Nice

My son in Queens got an antibody test today at his neighborhood city MD. 3-5 days for results. The doc who saw him said he thinks 50-75% of NYers have probably been exposed to it already. He felt if you have the antibodies you probably have some limited resistance and if you contracted it a second time the symptoms would be greatly reduced. He stressed that is his personal opinion but obviously the jury is still out.

1 Like

Your son, I take it, is currently asymptomatic?
Just curious because family docs are being dissuaded down here from testing ill individuals due to the lack of PPE and to avoid diversion of same away from hospitals/test centers.

Yes he was sick about a month ago. They told him he had to be symptom free for 3 weeks because it takes
that long for the antibodies to show up.

1 Like

Looking like NY is getting a handle on it because of compliance. The dad thing fort the rest of the country is I read if you take NY out of the equation the rest of the country is still on an upward projection.

1 Like

Maryland Gov said today they’ve been flat for 7 days. So that’s good news.

VA is opening parks, playgrounds, beaches that are state controlled but allowing regional control as there’s a big difference between NoVA and the rest of the state density-wise. I believe our numbers continue to rise so I’m not sure easing other restrictions next week is the best idea. I won’t change my habits anytime soon.

I needed a new front tire on the bike so I ordered a tire and took it with the wheel to a local shop today. Looked pretty much like business as usual to me. Parking lot was packed with cars and trailers. Could hardly find a place to park. People in and out. No one working there appeared to be wearing a mask. Some customers were. I dropped the tire off and came back to get it later. I’m afraid Virginia is going to see a big spike second round after eased restrictions, based on the behaviors I’m seeing.

I agree in your predictions and am afraid OH will too. Somethings have already been allowed to re-open and I notice a huge uptick in traffic already.
Last week a group of people went to the public health directors RESIDENCE and protested. You have the right to protest but going to her residence was a little to far IMO… a bunch of hair salon owners saying they’re essential. Never known anyone to die from not getting their hair cut or an up-do!

1 Like