New York craft beers

My brother is teaching at West Point for a few weeks but will be heading back to Maine this weekend for my b-day cookout.

Can anyone suggest some good local brews I can ask him to look for to bring back with him?

Ommegang out of Cooperstown. Nuff said.

^^^^ also captain lawrence makes some good beer.

Sixpoint makes excellent beers, I always try to grab some when I’m in NY as I can’t get them in PA. They have a beer finder on their website that is pretty accurate from the times I’ve used it.

:cheers:
Rad

+1 to Sixpoint, -1 to Ommegang. I think if you can get Allagash in ME, you will be disappointed with Ommegang.

Also if he can get anything by Southampton, they are great, especially the Biere de Mars, Double White, and the saison.

Is that southhamton public house?

Captain Lawrence is the best NY area brewery, in terms of being a small brewery that really can compete with the best breweries nationally. Hoppy beers, belgian beers, barrel aged sours, most of it is good. Sixpoint is sort of NY’s Harpoon or Anchor. Reasonably priced beers that are decent but not mind-blowing. Peekskill from the Hudson Valley has been making a lot of noise lately. And, from upstate, Ithaca’s Flower Power is one of the best IPAs from the east coast.

If your ever in the north country near the Canadian border try St Lawrence brewing companies Skinny Dipper IPA. It’s hard to get but It is quite good.

Not impressed with Ommegang.

Had some Brooklyn Lager in Las Vegas recently. Good, but Las Vegas seems proud of beer at restaurants.

My brother works for Ithaca brewing. Their flower power IPA is good.

Flower power is very good

Disregard what I said about Sixpoint. I have given them every benefit of the doubt possible, but this weekend I had both Resin (IIPA) and Sweet Action (Cream Ale), and they were vile. Borderline undrinkable. Great packaging, not good beer.

Just to keep this positive: have heard some AMAZING things about Peekskill Brewing, which is a few miles south of West Point. May have to do growler fills, but I’ve heard its a worthwhile stop.

you have Maine beer company…some truly awesome stuff what more do you need :lol:

Ithaca is good as stated

Maine is VERY good and a great example of a brewery that makes excellent, refined hoppy beer. Their pale hoppys-- Peeper, Mo, Lunch, and a few others are really high quality, and their dark beers and hoppy reds are very solid. They are kind of a one-trick pony (like a small, modern Sierra Nevada) but that one trick is a great one.

I think the beers do lack a certain flavor intensity that exists in the really world-class examples of hoppy beers but they make up for it with the fact that they are so popular, that it is, no matter where you go, super fresh. And they brew the beers to be consumed fresh, without a lot of harsh edges to the beer that would need to soften with time.

Just wish their bottles weren’t so expensive ($6-7 for a half liter around here.)

[quote=“Wahoo”]Maine is VERY good and a great example of a brewery that makes excellent, refined hoppy beer. Their pale hoppys-- Peeper, Mo, Lunch, and a few others are really high quality, and their dark beers and hoppy reds are very solid. They are kind of a one-trick pony (like a small, modern Sierra Nevada) but that one trick is a great one.

I think the beers do lack a certain flavor intensity that exists in the really world-class examples of hoppy beers but they make up for it with the fact that they are so popular, that it is, no matter where you go, super fresh. And they brew the beers to be consumed fresh, without a lot of harsh edges to the beer that would need to soften with time.

Just wish their bottles weren’t so expensive ($6-7 for a half liter around here.)[/quote]

No one trick pony IMO. One of the better breweries out there. Everything I have had is outstanding and very well made.

yeah i’m not sure i like the ‘one trick pony’ classification for them (or SN) either. A friend of mine shared King Titus (porter) and Mean Old Tom (am. stout) with me and they were awesome.

With respect to Sierra, I think their kellerweis (and I’m not usually a big fan of the style), porter and stout are all awesome beers.

More Celebration Ale for me then :cheers:

+1 to Celebration. Big fan of that beer. I’ll have a couple pounds of homegrown hops this season and I’m thinking of doing a wet hop west coast IPA!

I like SN ruthless rye

To be clear, Maine and SN are two of my favorite breweries out there. And Sierra, especially lately, has diversified greatly (Ovila line). “One trick pony” was just a comment on their specialization.