New to winemaking and have a question

G’ day, What is the correct proceedure to add Yeast to the must?

1. Just add the Yeast straight from the package at the proper time, or
  2. Activate the Yeast in a seperate container 24-hours prior to adding to the must?
    Thank you, ThomasT

What yeast, and is this a kit or fresh pressed must?

For the most part, if it is dry wine yeast. you would simply sprinkle the yeast on top of the must and let it do its thing.

[quote=“Brew Meister Smith”]What yeast, and is this a kit or fresh pressed must?

For the most part, if it is dry wine yeast. you would simply sprinkle the yeast on top of the must and let it do its thing.[/quote]

I have not started any wine now, but when I do make my first batch it will be from Frozen Concentrate. All the recipes that I have read so far just state to add the Yeast at the stated time. I just read the book Enjoy Home Winemaking by Frishman and he explains to “pre-make” the Yeast 24-hours prior to adding into the must. I am trying to find out what is the correct procedure before I get started. Thanks ThomasT

When was that book published? I am not familiar with it.

If you are using a fairly standard dry wineyeast, there should be no need to start the yeast early. Just sprinkle on top.

[quote=“Brew Meister Smith”]When was that book published? I am not familiar with it.

If you are using a fairly standard dry wineyeast, there should be no need to start the yeast early. Just sprinkle on top.[/quote]

Thank you for this information and help.
ThomasT

[quote=“ThomasT”][quote=“Brew Meister Smith”]When was that book published? I am not familiar with it.

If you are using a fairly standard dry wineyeast, there should be no need to start the yeast early. Just sprinkle on top.[/quote]

Thank you for this information and help.
ThomasT[/quote]

I am sorry that I did not answer your question about the book.
It shows first published date 1972 and it has been re-published many time and my book was published (28-addition) 2010,
Thanks again ThomasT

An update to my original question. I followed the good advice given to me and added the Yeast (Lalvin 71B 1122) directly to the Must. It is now day 2 and I am getting bubbles in the airlock on a continuos, almost constant basis and a real good grape aroma. Thanks for your help. 8)