New to Kegging

Before I do this I have a few questions I hope you can answer for me I couldn’t find from searching the forum. These are probably stupid questions to you guys.

1. I do the 2 stage fermentation before bottling. Does kegging take place of the second stage or should I keg the beer after second stage?

2. I no longer need to use priming sugar?

3.What about the sediment I get at the bottom of the bottles, does the keg system still have sediment or what keeps it from mixing in with the “good” beer when you go to pour a glass?

1. My bottled beer is always cloudy, some batches less than others, should I expect the same with a keg system or is it more clear over all?

Thanks in advance.

[quote=“sharkchum”]Before I do this I have a few questions I hope you can answer for me I couldn’t find from searching the forum. These are probably stupid questions to you guys.

1. I do the 2 stage fermentation before bottling. Does kegging take place of the second stage or should I keg the beer after second stage?

2. I no longer need to use priming sugar?

3.What about the sediment I get at the bottom of the bottles, does the keg system still have sediment or what keeps it from mixing in with the “good” beer when you go to pour a glass?

1. My bottled beer is always cloudy, some batches less than others, should I expect the same with a keg system or is it more clear over all?

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

1. Your choice, but I still do the secondary stage to clear the beer and let it settle more before adding to the keg.

2. You can still add priming sugar to the keg of you want to carbonate warm and naturally carb. Most people the keg do not add the sugar and force carb using co2

3. You will always have a little sediment at the bottom of the keg. But most of the sediment you see in the bottle is from the priming sugar and the fact that you have additional carbonation going on. Without that you will generally get a little sediment in the first beer or so and perhaps the last. Also, if you add the sugar and naturally carbonate, you will have significantly more sediment that if you do not.

4. Depends. Are you using Irish Moss or Whirlfloc tablets during the end of your boil? If not, you should, it makes a huge difference. I find that the keg gets clearer and clearer as time goes by with it sitting in the cold kegerator. But I have been very happy in the clarity of my beer since I started kegging.

No, I’m not using Irish Moss or Whirlfloc tablets during the end of the boil. How much and when should I put it in.

Thanks so much for the help.

Never mind, I just looked it up.

Thanks again.

Adding to 560sdl’s answer for #3. After the first pour, you won’t be turning your keg over like you would with a bottle. Try not to agitate the kegs, and the sediment will stay put.