New To Brewing

Hi All,

I am interested in starting brewing at home to try it out, have never done it before. Was wondering should I start with a starter kit?
THanks

Nb has a nice basic 5 gallon starter kit. It has all you need to give it a try. Don’t bother with the one gallon kit, if you only want To make one gallon of beer you can do it in a five gallon bucket this way you’d ahead of the game if you want yo start doing 5+ gallon batches. Oh, go to Walmart and get a turkey fryer.

Thanks for the information

I just brewed my first batch of brew. I used the NB starter kit with the two five gallons buckets. I also used my turkey fryer which I have had forever and never used. Both worked perfect for a beginer. I did however purchase some extra equipment. I got a clear 5 gal carboy for secondery fermentation and a hydrometer to measure the gravity but the kit has everything you need. :cheers:

Thanks, I am looking forward to starting, have not gotten any equipment or kits yet but plan to soon.

Welcome to the sickness. First you will get a starter kit then next thing you know pull have hundreds of dollars invested and have no regrets. This forum is loaded with helpful people who know the craft. Enjoy!

Stop. Save yourself while you still can. Leave. And don’t look back. Ever.

If you get the starter equipment and a recipie kit, you’ll make drinkable beer. Any idiot can make drinkable beer with these recipie kits. Only problem is; it’s a trap.

The first batch is scary and frustrating but eventually it gets in the bottles. Then, a few weeks later, you pop the top off your first hand-made beer, and it’s like your “first time;” maybe not great by the standards of those with experience, but it’s unbelievably satisfying. Smoke’em if you got’em satisfying. It’s like a rite of passage; I MADE THIS!!!

With the starter kits and extract recipies you will make drinkable beer, then good beer, then really good beer, and before you know it, your hooked. You become obsessed with making the best beer you can make. Next thing you know, you’re buying temperature controllers, and looking for cheap freezers to ferment in.

Those extract kits are a gateway into all grain kits. Eventually, you’re ordering chemical analysis of your water. You’re unable to enjoy regular beer. When someone cracks open a Miller Lite, you’re screaming, “I piss better beer than this!!!” Co-workers become afraid to mention casual drinking in front of you, because you start to spout off little details about BJCP standards and how their favorite brands fall short.

When even “Craft beer” starts to get air quotes, you’re done. You’re a homebrew junkie.

Stop. Save yourself before it’s too late!

[quote=“JMcK”]Stop. Save yourself while you still can. Leave. And don’t look back. Ever.

If you get the starter equipment and a recipie kit, you’ll make drinkable beer. Any idiot can make drinkable beer with these recipie kits. Only problem is; it’s a trap.

The first batch is scary and frustrating but eventually it gets in the bottles. Then, a few weeks later, you pop the top off your first hand-made beer, and it’s like your “first time;” maybe not great by the standards of those with experience, but it’s unbelievably satisfying. Smoke’em if you got’em satisfying. It’s like a rite of passage; I MADE THIS!!!

With the starter kits and extract recipies you will make drinkable beer, then good beer, then really good beer, and before you know it, your hooked. You become obsessed with making the best beer you can make. Next thing you know, you’re buying temperature controllers, and looking for cheap freezers to ferment in.

Those extract kits are a gateway into all grain kits. Eventually, you’re ordering chemical analysis of your water. You’re unable to enjoy regular beer. When someone cracks open a Miller Lite, you’re screaming, “I piss better beer than this!!!” Co-workers become afraid to mention casual drinking in front of you, because you start to spout off little details about BJCP standards and how their favorite brands fall short.

When even “Craft beer” starts to get air quotes, you’re done. You’re a homebrew junkie.

Stop. Save yourself before it’s too late![/quote]

It’s funny because it’s true.

Jmck , I almost peed my pants laughing at this!!!

And yes, it’s true.

:cheers:

Ron